We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip questions? :)

Which Seoul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 1
trip questions? :)

hello everyone!

i am after some advice please. i am open to any opinions. i will explain my situation.

in june, i will go to seoul to meet a friend. i have arranged the flights no problem.

during my stay, i plan to visit all around seoul with my friend. for a few days, we will go to jeju island. and another day, i will stay at my friends house.

my problems/queries are that due to my uncertain dates to visit her house and jeju, i don't wanna book my hotel in advance. i would prefer to book just 2 nights (before i leave) starting from my arrival date so we can rest and leave luggage.

i am a bit worried of whether it is too risky to just arrive in seoul and then look for some hotel to stay in. i don't wanna arrive and suddenly not be able to book hotel rooms and be stranded and tired! is it ok to pay in cash on arrival at the hotels?

i think there is really something fun about arriving then booking some where to stay once i get there.

i hope someone can tell me if generally the hotels in seoul are usually fully booked in june, and whether they mind for you to just turn up and book a room.

my second question is that my friend lives in the area with post code 135-935. i would be very grateful if someone can recommend me an average hotel that is also nearby to a subway stop that connects to this area.

thanks for ANY advice!! :)

london
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
reviews: 150
1. Re: trip questions? :)

June sounds wet and humid, so I think you'll be OK for rooms.

135-935 is probably Gangnam, so you have the circle line that connects to most anywhere in Seoul.

Gangnam may be expensive, so maybe not the best place to stay, tho

Seoul, South Korea
2. Re: trip questions? :)

You'll not have a problem finding a room in any price range in Seoul or Jeju. I seriously doubt walk-ins or paying cash is either. I would only be worried about Jeju accommodations in July and August.

And yes, it looks like your friend lives in the Kangnam area, south of the Han River. I don't know what your budget is. Kangnam is a very high end area, but that doesn't mean there aren't average and budget accommodations in the area. A quick search on tripadvisor will bring up a bunch. It looks like the Ibis is getting some positive feedback in the 100 bean range. I haven't stayed there though. Oh, and don't worry, if you stay in that area, you'll be very close to the subway for trans. purposes. The Hotel Highland looks like it might have good potential too at about $60 a night.

Hope this helps :)....

London, United...
3. Re: trip questions? :)

thanks alot you two, for your reassurance and advice.

i am feeling a little less stressed out now :)

i don't have to worry about jeju accomodation as my friend has a little house there. it's great to know of the area i need to look at, i will check out those suggestions. as long as i am not paying more than £100-£150 per night it should be ok!

thanks again for your help :)

London, United...
4. Re: trip questions? :)

woohoo i've now booked my accomodation. i decided on the 'dormy inn seoul' which is located in gangnam-gu. it seemed like a good bargain and they are serviced apartments, this is not too far from the subway and i will easily be connected to my friend :)

the reviews for the dormy inn seem very fair, and it is cheap enough for me to leave my stuff there and travel around somewhere else for a few days. it works out around £50 per night.

i feel a little more secure and prepared having booked in advance. i'm looking forward to wandering the area, even though i've read it's mainly business district? if anyone can suggest a particularly WONDERFUL korean restaurant i would be glad to hear :)

london
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
reviews: 150
5. Re: trip questions? :)

re wonderful restaurants; how's your Korean?

You could try Samwon Garden- two of them, one in Apgujeong, one by Daechi Jct, for a good BBQ.

O/wise the "food court" in Coex -a series of separate restaurants near to City Air Tower, NOT the Lake Court, has some good stuff: blowfish, bbqs, "Genghiz Khan"; bibimbap.

Outside on the streets there are lots of good ones but with next to no English.

New Orleans...
reviews: 171
6. Re: trip questions? :)

If I want an upscale dinner, I go to Bamboo House. It's a bit pricey but the beef is superb.

Seoul, South Korea
7. Re: trip questions? :)

For good meat, try Beodeunamujip. It's not fancy or anything, but is one of the most popular bulgogi/galbi places in town... you know when you see a lot of older aged people there who have been visiting for years. A tad bit expensive, but good, traditional food..even the side dishes, unlike many cheaper places that are not real authentic Korean (too much MSG, strong spices instead of good, fresh ingredients). Will cost you about 50,000 won for 1 serving of bulgogi...but it's really good. Many people go because the meat there has its own unique taste..and can't be enjoyed anywhere else. Have fun.

London, United...
8. Re: trip questions? :)

thanks for all of the suggestions. i will print these off and check them out. thankfully, i will have my korean friend with me to help order and find the places :)

if the korean food is written the hangul characters then i have no chance by my self >_< haha. but if it is written in the words, eg bulgogi, bibimbap etc, then i am fine to read the dishes i already know and love. if all else fails, i'll point at someone elses :) thanks again to all of you.

i've heard some good things about special tasting meat in the bbq restaurants and will definately check out some of these places

Seoul, South Korea
9. Re: trip questions? :)

One of my favorite areas is the "Moksal" street near Hongdae University. It's basically pork chops grilled at the table with side dishes. They also give you the lettuce and other veggies, garlic, kimchi, etc. to wrap the meat with and pop it in your mouth. I like to frequent the more spartan types of restaurants there with lots of activity going on inside. If you like pork, ask your friend, I'm sure they are familiar with the area...

London, United...
10. Re: trip questions? :)

Moksal-that sounds good! i'll write it down and will have to check out that area, i am a pork lover so it sounds a yummy meal!!

i've read about the pork in jeju is specially fed on 'organic matter' (polite way of putting it) :) but i'm not sure if i will be brave enough to try hehe