We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tbilisi in December

Which Tbilisi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 15
Tbilisi in December

Hello All

I will be visiting Tbilisi in mid December for 3 days and I have some questions I hope you will be able to answer for me

- What is the weather like in Tbilisi in December usually? Will there be snow most likely?

- Why are hotels so outrageously expensive in Tbilisi? ($200 or more per night on average apparently) when people who live in Georgia could not possibly afford those kind of prices?

- Are you able to recommend a reliable day tour company for trips around Tbilisi?

- How safe it is to walk around Tbilisi with a camera for tourists? Am I allowed to take pictures of the beautiful metro stations?

- What kind of hassles am I likely to encounter in Tbilisi?

Thanks!

Tbilisi, Georgia
reviews: 7
1. Re: Tbilisi in December

Hello ! Georgian people don't use hotes usually, everyone stays at their own houses or the guest houses if they are travelling :)

Can help you with booking a hotel in a good place with a good price.

You can walk around freelly and take pictures everywhere you'd like. Day time or night time. The only hassle is the language . Taxi drivers doesn't speak English.

If you have more qiestions, don't hesitate and contact me

Regards , Irene

London, United...
reviews: 7
2. Re: Tbilisi in December

- Why are hotels so outrageously expensive in Tbilisi? ($200 or more per night on average apparently) when people who live in Georgia could not possibly afford those kind of prices?

A large number of the more reasonably priced, but still very decent, small hotels have no online presence: most of them in fact. In December, you should just be able to turn up to one you like the look of and get a good room. I stayed in one in Vakhtang street; try looking there (see google maps). There will be a language barrier though.

- How safe it is to walk around Tbilisi with a camera for tourists? Am I allowed to take pictures of the beautiful metro stations?

It's safe, most small shops in all neighbourhoods stay open late, so there's never really deserted streets. Most of the metro stations are quite utilitarian though. The architecture above ground, small bakeries, markets and the river are much more photogenic.

- What kind of hassles am I likely to encounter in Tbilisi?

People asking for cigarettes: "Ya ni-ye kuriiyu!" - "I don't smoke!" in Russian (Not sure how to say it in Georgian) will stop them. They're harmless though.

San Francisco...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Tbilisi in December

I found some beautiful places to stay starting at $25 USD a night on AirBnB (I've used AirBnB for years and even rent out my own place when I travel, I can't recommend it enough!)

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 15
4. Re: Tbilisi in December

Thanks so much! I am looking through that AirBnB website and it is truly awesome. I am going to use it to book my accommodation in Florence and Croatia!

Qatar
5. Re: Tbilisi in December

Hi Italmelb,

I'm just following your thread and wondering if you found any agents. I plan to visit late dec; I found this site which you could look up http://www.levontravel.ge/incoming/index.html in the meantime.

Kindly update me. Thanks!

Warsaw, Poland
reviews: 3
6. Re: Tbilisi in December

Well... you can't take just any picture. I was politely asked by a soldier to delete my picture of the Ministery of the chancellery of the governement of Georgia. So you mostly won't have troubles, just comply with the soldiers when you take picture of a government building (which is understandable). Otherwise there is no more risks in taking pictures in Paris than in Tbilisi. You're actually less liable of getting your camera stolen (happened to me in Melbourne and Vienna, Georgia is the safest place I visited).

7. Re: Tbilisi in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 13, 2014