We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul to Tbilisi?

Which Tbilisi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 5
Istanbul to Tbilisi?

Hi,

I have a friend who's living in Tbilisi and would like to visit her in the spring of 2014. I'd like to use airline miles to purchase this trip, however, I can't seem to get to Tbilisi on my milage program. I can get to Istanbul. My question is:

How far is Istanbul and would I need to take a flight? The ones I've found seem to be expensive? Are there any other major cities that might work? I'd love suggestions.

Thank you.

Tbilisi, Georgia
reviews: 7
1. Re: Istanbul to Tbilisi?

Hello. There is a bus coach going from Istanbul to Tbilisi and it costs 80 $. But it takes 2 days to get to Tbilisi. On the other hand, if you love traveling and discovering new places- this option is perfect for you. You will see most of the Turkey and Georgia, while traveling :)

Best regards, Irene :)

Istanbul
reviews: 1
2. Re: Istanbul to Tbilisi?

If you are using miles from UA MP program, you can fly to Tblisi for the same number of miles as to Istanbul. If this is not convenient, Pegasus Airlines flies from SAW (Istanbul) to both Tblisi and Batumi generally for much less than other carriers. Good luck.

Istanbul, Turkey
reviews: 65
3. Re: Istanbul to Tbilisi?

There is a ongoing campaign of THY right now and you can book tickets for a round trip about 129 euro (tax included!).

Also pegasus airlines usually has cheap tickets. Flight should take around 2 hours.

Edited: 5:39 am, September 03, 2013
New York City, New...
reviews: 5
4. Re: Istanbul to Tbilisi?

Thank you all so much. I think we've just decided to do Turkey on another trip and make this all about Georgia region. We'd like to visit much more than the capitol, so this will give us more time there.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 8
5. Re: Istanbul to Tbilisi?

Pegasus fly from SAW which is a great airport and on a much more human scale than IST, which is where you will fly into from New York. The main problem is that you have to cross Istanbul, which takes 2.5 - 3 hours as the traffic is horrendous.

We did it recently using Turkish Airlines, and I would totally recommend them. We had to change airports on the way there, but not on the way back.

You can also fly to Tbilisi from Amsterdam/Vienna (Georgian Airways), Warsaw (LOT), Prague (Czech Airlines), Munich (Lufthansa) and various other cities such as Baghdad or Tehran, but probably not convenient from New York :)

Stuttgart, Germany
reviews: 176
6. Re: Istanbul to Tbilisi?

Hey,

this report covers Pegasus on the Istanbul-Tbilisi route, done in May this year:

airliners.net/aviation-forums/…

Istanbul, Turkey
7. Re: Istanbul to Tbilisi?

Atlasjet starts ist- tbilisi flights from 11th oct. with a very low price. visit WWW.atlasjet.com

San Francisco...
8. Re: Istanbul to Tbilisi?

Hi Sanli, I looked at the Atlas Jet site and didn't see Tbilisi listed, would be under another name?

Thanks!

*Never mind it is listed as Tiflis :)

Edited: 5:17 pm, September 29, 2013
New York City, New...
9. Re: Istanbul to Tbilisi?

you can also travel by bus, it takes approx. 30 hours.

Edited: 10:33 am, November 16, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 7
10. Re: Istanbul to Tbilisi?

LOT Polish Airlines, codeshare with UA. If you can get to Yerevan with them on your milage program; from there there is a comfortable, but slow train to Tbilisi, that takes about 8 hours overnight and costs about $35.