We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Georgia in Winter

Which Tbilisi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sao Paulo, SP
reviews: 1
Georgia in Winter

Is it a good idea to go Georgia during the winter ?

What 's the perfect itinerary for 4 full days in Georgia ?

tks a lot

51 replies to this topic
Muscat, Oman
1. Re: Georgia in Winter

I have the same worry, as I plan for new year to be in Tbilisi..you can try skying. if there is snow.

Tbilisi, Georgia
reviews: 9
2. Re: Georgia in Winter

I have come as a tourist twice in winter. It is very possible, but quiet. Some areas of the country will be inaccessible, such as Tusheti, Svaneti. Where do you want to see?

Sao Paulo, SP
3. Re: Georgia in Winter

thanks for your reply

I intend to go to Tbilisi, Kasbegi, Gori, etc..

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
reviews: 296
4. Re: Georgia in Winter

Hi Ricardo,

I've been to Georgia this January over the New Year. Lovely time to visit, especially compared to the cold winter I left at home. The weather was sunny and mild (although you, coming from Brazil, might find it a bit chilly).

All these places on your list are accessible, except that you will need an AWD to reach Kazbegi, because the mountains will be covered with snow, and you never know what's going to be in the mountain's passes and on your way to Gergeti.

As for itinerary, what are your interests, please?

Sao Paulo, SP
5. Re: Georgia in Winter

thanks.

I'm interested in Kasbegi (with Anaruri Castle and Gergeti church), Tbilisi and maybe Gori (I'm not sure about Gori).

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
6. Re: Georgia in Winter

Gori itself is pretty boring. Most people visit it for Stalin museum (that I personally found not too impressive, but then I was born in the USSR, so stalinism "features" are no exotic to me). Though there's also an okay fortress. But Gori is a fine stopover on your way to Uplistsikhe tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g317094-d1… that I certainly recommend you to visit, if you don't go to any other cave cities/monasteries.

For Gergeti, as I said above, much will depend on when exactly you visit in winter and how much snow is going to be in the mountains on the time of you trip.

Ananuri will in any case be accessible, as its halfway to Kazbegi. The only thing is the river will not be in its most impressive looks in winter. You can have a look at the pics attached to my review of Ananuri tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

One more day that you seem to have left can be spent in Signaghi - a nice tidy touristy town tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS Plus the nearby Bodbe monastery tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1596951-d24…

Also, as you may have discovered by now, the ancient capital of Mtskheta is very close to Tbilisi and certainly deserves a few hours visit, at the very least for Jvari Church tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS and Svetitskhoveli Cathedral tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1598759-d…

Edited: 2:01 pm, October 23, 2012
Doha, Qatar
7. Re: Georgia in Winter

Hi Dear,

I am planning to with my husband. We will stay there 4 -5 days. But we don't have any idea about that country. Only I know first we will go to Tbilisi. Please if you know how to spend our time there from your experience, share with us.

Thanks,

Janvi

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
8. Re: Georgia in Winter

Dear Janvi,

Although Georgia is a small country, there's a lot to do and see there to fill in 4-5 days (and even more). But to give some suggestions, it would be nice to have more information, please. What your travel interests are? Which season are you travelling in (winter? - once posted here?). What more of transportation you are considering.

I would imagine that being from Qatar you could probably be interested with experiencing some winter activities? There are various skiing resorts in Georgia that you may find fascinating, and you could spend some time there (provided you can find the adequate clothing for snowy period).

But could you please share a bit more details, so that we could suggest something that is best specifically for you.

Doha, Qatar
9. Re: Georgia in Winter

Dear Kiev,

Many thanks for your reply. We are(my self and husband)planning to come on December 29-January 3rd. Yes sir, we would like to take the experience in winter activates, travel with cable carries, visit some ancient places. We like travel with train or boat. Is it available?

Still we are checking the hotels, and we checked some skiing hotels also. But it seems quiet expensive. Can you suggest any skiing hotels or accommodation's which is not very expensive.

I really appreciate if you could reply me.

Thanks,

Janvi

Tbilisi, Georgia
reviews: 7
10. Re: Georgia in Winter

Hello, Janvi.

The cheapest type of acommodation in Georgia is a guest house. starting from 20 GEL pp, ending with 50 GEL pp ( full board ). Hotels become more expensive in the skiing cities, when it's a skii time :)

Train travel is available, but not a boat between the cities

reagrds, Irene

Reply to: Georgia in Winter
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted