We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to buy SIM card in Yangon ?

Singapore, Singapore
How to buy SIM card in Yangon ?

Hi Forum Members

I already read some of the post concerning SIM card in Yangon, so my first thought it's easy to find SIM card in Yangon nowadays.

However I called my Hotel yesterday and they told me that I cannot buy or at least they cannot suggest where I can buy SIM card in Yangon.

So can anyone help me about this matter ? What is the most current update on how to buy SIM card in Yangon and can anyone suggest which shop to go in Yangon ?

Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
1. Re: How to buy SIM card in Yangon ?

Hi Forum Members,

Latest situation how to get SIM card in Yangon :

1. In arrival hall, after the baggage pick up, you will find TAXI STAND near the exit. This taxi stand is still inside the airport.

2. This taxi stand sell prepaid SIM card for $35 with about $18 credit you can use for local calls, international calls and mobile internet.

3. The prepaid SIM card can be top up from any mobile phone store in the city.

4. the mobile data is about 200 kyat per hour (2 cents), cmiiw. so turn on the mobile data only when you need it. I went to several coffee shop and restaurant, they have wifi for free.

I hope this info will be useful for anyone visiting Yangon

Kuala Lumpur...
reviews: 1
2. Re: How to buy SIM card in Yangon ?

Very helpful, thank you!

Yangon (Rangoon...
3. Re: How to buy SIM card in Yangon ?

Hi,

After exit from Taxi Stand, you will arrive the arrival waiting room where many people waiting friends and clients. Around that area, there are one private bank and information counter. You can buy SIM card also there. Sure cheaper than inside.

Yangon (Rangoon...
4. Re: How to buy SIM card in Yangon ?

Hi,

After exit from Taxi Stand, you will arrive the arrival waiting room where many people waiting friends and clients. Around that area, there are one private bank and information counter. You can buy SIM card also there. Sure cheaper than inside.

Melbourne, Australia
5. Re: How to buy SIM card in Yangon ?

I've read lots of conflicting information about use of SIM cards, is it true you can only get coverage in Yangon?

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 234
6. Re: How to buy SIM card in Yangon ?

No, coverage is throughout the main population areas although it can be patchy. Not so long ago I had to go onto the beach to get a couple of bars (sic) on my phone as there was no signal in my hotel.

SS

Kunming, China
reviews: 51
7. Re: How to buy SIM card in Yangon ?

Ooredoo and MPT are selling SIMs at 1.5 USD. Telenor is about to launch theirs too.

Edited: 4:34 am, September 05, 2014
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 234
8. Re: How to buy SIM card in Yangon ?

Loads of info here but apparently of little use to tourists up country or for making overseas calls (?)

irrawaddy.org/business/burma-telecoms-games-…

Kunming, China
reviews: 51
9. Re: How to buy SIM card in Yangon ?

They required local ID card to purchase a SIM, so it is not meant for foreigners. But able to approach any local to buy for you instead. Ooredoo has standard instant data service and overseas call while MPT lack such. Currently Ooredoo covers Yangon, Mandalay and Nay Pyi Taw but not other towns yet and their coverage is quite weak even in some part of Yangon.

Reply to: How to buy SIM card in Yangon ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted