We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too expensive for SE Asia? avoid agents?

London
reviews: 90
Too expensive for SE Asia? avoid agents?

Hi,

I am looking to come to Myanmar in mid Feb-Mid March, and previously had asked on this forum for some advice and i was told it was a must to use an agent.

Given the pricing i got from a few of them, i felt Myanmar was very expensive for just a 10 day trip. coming out at $160-$200 a day including transport and accomodation. so i decided against the country in my travels to come.

I really want to go, and keep costs down, but i am not sure if this is possible?

Now, is it possible to do Myanmar and the main tourist sites for less, and if so, how to approach it?

If anyone can advise, i would greatly appreciate it

thanks

Mark

8 replies to this topic
Livry-Gargan, France
Destination Expert
for Myanmar
reviews: 10
1. Re: Too expensive for SE Asia? avoid agents?

Hi Mark,

Please read this for better reference:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294190-i9408-k6…

If you want to keep the cost down, the best is to do backpacking. Most of agencies do not work with guest houses or low budget accommodations.

London
2. Re: Too expensive for SE Asia? avoid agents?

thank you, but the link is not relevant, its all about tipping, not about my question

are you sure you posted the right link?

Livry-Gargan, France
Destination Expert
for Myanmar
reviews: 10
3. Re: Too expensive for SE Asia? avoid agents?

Hi Mark,

Please check again here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294190-i9408-k5…

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 234
4. Re: Too expensive for SE Asia? avoid agents?

There are plenty of posts here from budget travellers who have got by on $60 a day including transport so your costs are dependent on your travel style.

Myanmar IS expensive compared to Laos or Cambodia,entirely due to lack of tourist accommodation and the dramatic increase in visitors. I would disagree strongly with your "Avoid Agents" heading. The reverse is the case with many posters saying they saved money on hotels by booking with an Agent,rather than using Agoda,Asiarooms etc or booking direct.

SS

Schiedam, The...
reviews: 3
5. Re: Too expensive for SE Asia? avoid agents?

Hi Mark,

We were in Myanmar in November. Amazing country and we had great 28 days there.

So, it is important what kind of trip do you want - posh hotels and flying? Or just normal hotels and local transport. We did the regular type-middle size hotels, no flying.

It can be even cheaper than what we did. We booked most of the hotels through Agoda, looking at middle range hotels between- 40-50 USD a night for a double room. The cheapest we had was in Yangon - 20 USD a night for a basic but an ok place - Agga guesthouse and the most expensive was 54 USD in Mandalay. We used the services of an agent (Myanmar Delight) for the booking of 4 of our hotels and Balloons over Bagan.

So, the hotels were 45 USD per night average for a double room. We met other people who were booking the same rooms a couple of days ahead and the prices were much lower than then ones we paid. We did not want to take the chance and sleep on the street and to save time and worry on the spot.

The other spendings - travel, food, souvenirs were about 30 USD for both of us. We had another large expense (Balloons over Bagan), for which we paid 600 USD in total. But it is a luxury, not a must (although we are happy we did it).

Just an indication - bus Yangon - Mawlamyine was 6.500 kyat per person (around 6.5-7 USD); express bus (very comfortable) from Yangon to Nyaungshwe was 20.000 kyat (21 USD). Train Mandalay - Hsipaw was 8 USD. So, less than 160-200 USD per day is possible....all depends on how do you want to travel and where you want to sleep. And yes, the accomodation and rent-a-car with a driver are quite expensive. Accomodation is definitely more than in Thailand. But if you plan well, then it is still possible to visit and do it on a budget.

Edited: 3:39 pm, December 20, 2013
London
6. Re: Too expensive for SE Asia? avoid agents?

Thank you

i am more optimistic now.

I head there mid Feb/end Feb if i go, so will decide post christmas.

B Right On
reviews: 96
7. Re: Too expensive for SE Asia? avoid agents?

Mark please do post your experience later on this topic to see. We are in Thailand now and many people have advised us to go to Myanmar as soon as possible, they basically said: "Just go now really as it will be too touristy later... (hope not just yet!!) and that it is one of the highlights of SE Asia. So, I am planning next December as that's my holiday... feel as it's too late though.. a bit worried!

Shellharbour...
reviews: 5
8. Re: Too expensive for SE Asia? avoid agents?

There are noticeable larger groups of elderly European package tourists at the more popular sites such at Mandalay Hill and the temples at it's base, Indein on Inle Lake and Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon. But in other areas like Golden Rock, Bago, Kalaw, Pyin Oo Lwin and the other side of the river at Mandalay I was quite surprised how few foreigners there were in November. At some places I was the only foreigner!. So in all honesty, I wouldn't get too worried. Enjoy.

Edited: 3:36 am, December 29, 2013
Reply to: Too expensive for SE Asia? avoid agents?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted