We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about Le Meridian

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 30
Confused about Le Meridian

My friend and I are looking to go to Vanuatu for 7 days early next year. We are both 24 and single, so are looking to have some fun. We wanted to go all out and splurge a bit. We were looking at spending the extra cash and staying at Le Meridian in one of the lagoon bungalows.

After spending many longs hours reading reviews, we have found that there are many mixed reviews on this resort. For the money we are paying we were hoping that we could get something spectacular, but it doesnt seem like this will happen.

We are a little confused, and actually starting to get "turned off" by all of the negative reviews. I have also read negative reviews about Le Lagon. If you have stayed in one of the Lagoon Bungalows at Le Meridian, (or know of someone who has) we would love to hear your views.

Also is it true that the Lagoon that these bungalows overlook is quite murky, as we read a review that said it was.

If anyone could help us, we would really appreciate it.

albury
11. Re: Confused about Le Meridian

Hi Vatu,

I was interested in your reply to the Le Meridian post.

My fiance and i are thinking of heading to Vanuatu for our honeymoon in December. We can't decide between Le Lagoon, Le Meridian or Erakor...we really just want somewhere to kick back, enjoy a swim, a wine and some island beauty.

Any suggestions???

Port Vila
12. Re: Confused about Le Meridian

Le Meridian has decent sized swimming pool. The bungalows are OK, but friend thought they were way over priced. Universal thumbs down on the room, everyone hates them The water in the lagoon is not the pristine as the Erakor and Le Lagon, as it gets no good flush down that area. However things to do on it, as in water toys. Erakor I like, no pool, but the ocean is nice there, not waves as you are still in the lagoon and nice sand. Le Lagon, has a bath tub called a swimming pool, horrible with cholrine pongand normally full of screaming kids. The bungalows over the water are great, the rest is very ordinary.

Thought of Breakas? That is adult only, really nice pool, not good for ocean swimming as has rocky sea floor and if it is windy it is very exposed. But close to some reasonable beaches, transport no bother as lots of buses right past the entrance. Getting some good food raves lately.

As you are moving into cyclone season anything can happen on weather. Like check out Xavier now. We are hoping it will go away, as the sea temperature here is still not quite right to feed it into a big monster. Don't worry about cyclones, all places are used to them and will have your safety in mind.

albury
13. Re: Confused about Le Meridian

I have been doing heaps of reading and after much indecision have actually booked our 5 day honeymoon at breaka's. The reviews all seemed pretty positive so hopefully we should be fine.

Do you have any tips for our trip or any particular sights that we should check out?

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it.

Port Vila
14. Re: Confused about Le Meridian

I will try for a few tips. What could be a good fun day would be to hire a road buggy, load in some lunch and head out to Mele Gardens which is very under promoted, but a great place to blow away a few hours, as has examples of actual different tradtional huts, some native fuana, such as coconut crab, pythons (no snakes in Vanuatu are posionous) the local loxard which is fairly amazing, a proper kava hut (no kava served, but an example of a real island one) and a good spread of local plants, all labeled and identified. You can BYO drinks and food, no drink driving busts in vanuatu, but use your brains, if you want to have quite a few, hire your own bus or cab) Always use a DEET mosquito repellant, such as RID, Aeroguard is useless. They may not be any, then again there maybe some, but malaria is not unknown in the Mele area. Hideway island is out that direction, so you could go for a snorkle there, also Mele Cascades, but don't go on a cruise ship day. There is also Benjours restaurant out that direction which does have great food.

Round the island trup is totally over rated in my opinion. The WW11 museum.. yeah? An uncomfortable boat ride to glimpse a bit of unknow relic in the water. Thats it. The roads are rough, and generally to me it is boring, same as it was the first time I ever did it. Coongoola is a great day out, snorkelling, BBQ, see the turtles. We are local and we all head out on it occassionally. The sunset cruise is good too, just a couple of hours, but if the sun is turning it on that day it is stunning. Few free drinks and snacks, and then drinks at bar prices. Try some kava. The best is Seaside-Maweo kava bar, over looks Le Merdian, so you will see the bungalows over the water and probably be glad that is as close as you got to them, but it is a stunning view. Kava is safe there. Snacks, softdrinks and tusker available. Grab a bus or taxi to take you there. It is on Cook Ave., that may get you a few blank stares, so try for the name first, Seaside Maweo kava bar, past Poppys and Mangoes, at the back of the hospital. Transport back is no so good after dark, as you have to walk past the seaside village, which I would not totally trust for personal safety. Ask at the kava bar, people will help. Best time is right on 4.30, plan to go leave at about 5.45 to 6. Have a few 50 vatu shell, do not be a pig and have ten of them, it can creep up! If you can give any further of what you want to do, wil try and help. That time of the year, weather is generally beautiful. However weather does what it likes as we know, so it could make a big liar out of me! I think you picked the best place, by the brief you gave. Buses are set price in town environs. taxi. Always set the price first and get it clear.

albury
15. Re: Confused about Le Meridian

Thankyou heaps Vatu, I really appreciate your time and input.

We are looking forward to our trip and can't wait to check out Port Vila and the surrounding sights.

I do a bit of surfing and was wondering if there is anywhere to hire a board while i'm there?

If I think of anything else I will be sure to sing out.

Cheers.

Port Vila
16. Re: Confused about Le Meridian

Suggest you email Breaks and ask. They get some surf there at times, and so does the Pango area that you are really close to. But ask them about Board hire, as a few dedicated surfers around there. No idea myself.

Boden, Sweden
reviews: 21
17. Re: Confused about Le Meridian

we have stayed in the lagoon villas, and they are really lovely. We could see through the water in the lagoon quite easily, not murky at all. The villas have been well thought out, and there are staff living on the island specifically to look after the villa guests. We've read the negative reviews too, and frankly, after visiting there, we wondered if we were all talking about the same resort. I guess it depends on what your expectations are prior to going. You do need to remember that you're not in Australia, so it's not going to be like home.

18. Re: Confused about Le Meridian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila