We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coconut Oil

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Burleigh Heads...
reviews: 5
Coconut Oil

Howdy,

Going to Villa tmoz from the Gold Coast and wondering where the best place is to buy coconut oil. Don't really want to carry my litre jar over and thought there'd have to be some awesome oil over there to buy. And also can you buy kava from the markets to bring back to Aus or do you have to buy it from the kava bars?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
reviews: 61
1. Re: Coconut Oil

You can buy freshly made coconut oil for 200vt for a 300ml coke bottle full at the fruit markets. Its great for hair, skin, cooking etc and is very pure and the purchase supports local families. We bring it back to Australia too.

Also in tourist shops they sell it (usually overpriced with some perfume and not pure).

cheers

reviews: 2
2. Re: Coconut Oil

I bought some from a local shop, brought it back to Sydney where it solidified in the bathroom cupboard before I could use it. Any ideas why? Thanks

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
3. Re: Coconut Oil

Hi Caddymc

Its solidified because of the temperature. Just sit it in a bowl of hot water for a couple of minutes and it will be nice and liquid again. Thats actually a good sign that its not been diluted with other oils that have a lower liquid point. Great for a hair treatment or foot massage :)

And in regard to Kava you can bring up to 2kg dry or powder (instant) kava back into AU. You can buy it at Au Bon Marche at Numbatu supermarket packaged for bringing home. Also at the Kava Store on the main street. Just make sure the package is unopened to bring home and declare it at Customs. You can also get Kava Cordial there, shots, Coconut Kava (doesn't taste so yuck) but the strongest stuff you will get at a local nakamal. Search here for other posts in regard to favourite nakamals.

Have fun!

Edited: 5:09 am, October 12, 2013
Burleigh Heads...
reviews: 5
4. Re: Coconut Oil

Thanks so much for the info P&L. Market is closed today so ill grab some tmoz. I've been reading a heap of your posts and its been great to have found out a lot of info. You're the bomb!

Where is the best place you recommend to get a seafood platter for two w mud crabs etc? I read your post about the coconut crabs so won't be trying them now, but will hook into the muddys.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
5. Re: Coconut Oil

If you were going to be there on a Friday night I would suggest Iririki Seafood buffet. They bring in oysters from NZ and have mud and blue swimmer crabs usually, lobster tails etc. Or make a night of it and head out to Tamanu or Aquana for a la carte but call first to see what they have in stock, as this will change with the season.

Some other resorts have seafood nights too so ask around and you might find another good one near your accommodation.

Have fun!

Edited: 6:25 am, October 13, 2013
6. Re: Coconut Oil

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 15, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila