We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local currency b4 getting to Goodies and duty free smokes

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hervey Bay...
reviews: 8
local currency b4 getting to Goodies and duty free smokes

Hi, do I need to pay for anything in local currency when I arrive. Our Aust exchange rate isn't the best. Can I just step off the plane, go through immigration and customs, grab a taxi, go to goodies, get some local currency, go to hotel and then pay the taxi driver? We arrive 2.10pm on a Monday.

If not, how much should I get here (in AUD please). How much can Goodies exchange at a time, have about $2,000 AUD I want to take over.

Also, fell off the wagon and started smoking again. Going to try and quit before we go over, but if I don't make it, I don't understand duty free as I have never been overseas before, how and where do I buy a carton of smokes (cheapest) to use over there.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
reviews: 61
1. Re: local currency b4 getting to Goodies and duty free smokes

I would recommend you take about $500 AUD cash. Exchange $100 at airport on arrival into vatu (enough to last til you get into town the next day or whatever, pay your transport to hotel - allow 2500vt for this depending on where you are staying) The difference in exchange rate between Goodies and Airport exchange is probably only 2 cents so change it all at the airport if you prefer!.

You can buy your duty free on arrival in PV in AUD or Vatu (after you go thru immigration, collect your luggage and before you go through Customs).

When you run out of cash, use your ATM card to withdraw from your Australian account in vatu. There are several banks including ANZ & Westpac. You will be charged $4.50 for every ATM withdrawal so get as much as you feel comfortable in carrying at one time. The exchange rate will be reasonable and probably within a few vatu of what you would get changing cash in PV.

Re smokes..definitely buy them on arrival in PV. In Australian duty free shops you are looking at over $80 a carton. In PV airport they are $50. Individual packets of 20 are 750vt ($7.85) in supermarket or corner shop. Same for alcohol...cheaper in PV but the choice is not as vast as duty free in Australia. So if you want something fancy, get it at home :)

Have fun!

Campbelltown...
reviews: 24
2. Re: local currency b4 getting to Goodies and duty free smokes

To get your smokes and alcohol duty free before you come home, go to Fung Kwei (find the anchor bar and you will find fung kwei).

Winfield blues, carton of 250 are $35 on cruise ship days. $40 on normal days

jody

Campbelltown...
reviews: 24
3. Re: local currency b4 getting to Goodies and duty free smokes

Just another thing re smoking. There arent many bins around so when we are out and about, we take a disposable drink bottle with a little water in it so that we have somewhere to put our butts.

Hervey Bay...
reviews: 8
4. Re: local currency b4 getting to Goodies and duty free smokes

Was going to do that with my butts anyhow. I am a very considerate smoker.

Am I allowed to buy duty free coming in and going out of PV?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
reviews: 61
5. Re: local currency b4 getting to Goodies and duty free smokes

yep

But at least 24 hrs before you leave you can buy it at one of the duty free shops in town and they will give it to you at the airport after you go through immigration. Or just buy it at the airport while you are waiting for your plane. Common brands such as JD, Ballantines, Absolut etc are cheaper in PV than Australia. Perfumes are not much different. You can also bring as much Tanna coffee as you like, local vanilla pods (v cheap compared to Australia and available in sealed packed at Au Bon Marche Supermarket), high quality pepper corns or kava. Just declare these at Customs in Australia and you are fine.

If you don't finish your inbound duty free you can always bring what is left home as long as its opened too. So get what you can (see other posts on inbound duty free allowances) and stock up for home.

6. Re: local currency b4 getting to Goodies and duty free smokes

Maybe it was different for others but goodies was a far better exchange rate then at the airport, we had a large group we were traveling with and those that exchanged at the pv airport regretted it.

Smokes are cheap enough in the supermarkets and it seems like a very high percentage of ppl over there smoke.

We asked about the open products not getting counted in your limits (ours were for alcohol though) and Aus and Vanuatu customs both said no. But if you don't mind loosing them then you may as well try.

Melbourne
reviews: 2
7. Re: local currency b4 getting to Goodies and duty free smokes

be aware you can only buy winnie blues and reds and malboro in Vanuatu, they are made in Samoa and not the same as ours sold in Aus

New Plymouth, New...
reviews: 9
8. Re: local currency b4 getting to Goodies and duty free smokes

Have a look at the new duty free limits coming into effect. Believe you are only allowed 50 cigarettes - 2 packs into AU from July 1.

Edited: 1:58 am, June 08, 2012
9. Re: local currency b4 getting to Goodies and duty free smokes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, June 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila