We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kava

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 8
Kava

Hi All - we are heading off to Vanuatu on Thursday - cant wait - YAY! I was just seeking some advice on kava - I am keen to try it as is my daughter (just turned 18!) but I have heard stories about it being very unhygenic - that it is made with spit and that the bowls can be bad also. Anyone got some advice? I dont want to have a HepC shot just because I want to try kava!

much appreciated

queensland
reviews: 53
1. Re: Kava

I believe much of the Kava in Port Vila is produced by machine processing now. I really don't think the traditional method of production could keep up with demand. You state that your daughter is " just turned 18" which is neither here nor there. Kava is not an alcoholic beverage. It is a mild narcotic and should be treated with some respect as far as consumption goes. The strength, taste and potency will vary from one place to another. I tried some last week which I found very palatable and somewhat lacking in potency but it did the job...slept like a baby with no ill effects.

As for the bowls (coconut shell), many expats have there own, the hygene issue is up to you to decide.

I prefer to drink from a glass (shock,horror I know!)

2-3 50 vatu shells is quite enough for me, some people handle more, some less.

I would suggest no more than 2 until you know what effects Kava will have on you.

I have tasted the traditionally made Kava, chewed by virgin boys etc. etc. and suffered no ill effects.

Try it, enjoy the relaxing warmth and heightened senses that it should induce and just don't overdo it.

Australia
2. Re: Kava

Hi Reboi - thank you for a very informative reply - I will see if I can pick up my own shells in Port Vila, I am looking forward to the experience. Is there a particular Kava place that one would reccommend in Port VIla? We are also spending 5 days on Tanna and 5 days on Santo - Cant wait!!

Thanks for your input

queensland
reviews: 53
3. Re: Kava

I personally would not recommend any Kava Hut/Nakamal here on this site as I feel that would be unfair.

I would imagine however that you might find the Kava stronger on the outer islands than in Vila.

Be aware it is an "aquired" taste and please don't make the mistake of thinking it is having no effect on you as you drink it.

I do not claim to be an authority on kava whatsoever and my comments are based purely on personal experience.

That said...you MUST try it at least once and I hope you enjoy your trip to this beautiful country.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
reviews: 21
4. Re: Kava

Good advice from Reboi,

Kava makes your lips numb. Then your throat. So take it easy and definitely don't mix it with alcohol.

Ciao,

Jen

Australia
5. Re: Kava

Thanks Jen and Reboi - will definitely be trying it! One more day and we are off - YAY :-)

6. Re: Kava

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, October 10, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila