We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are reef shoes and where do I get them?

Which Vanuatu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
reviews: 72
What are reef shoes and where do I get them?

Hi All. I have been reading all the great reviews about Vanuatu - thank you everyone. I just love Trip Advisor. We are going for the first time in September and I am already counting the days. From the reviews I have been reading about the need for reef shoes and it is better to bring them with you rather than buy them in Vila. Sorry for being daft but what are they and where can I get them in Australia? Are they expensive? Also do we need to take our own swimming goggles – mask etc? I would rather not cart them if I don’t have to.

Thanks for the help

Regards

Suzi

reviews: 2
11. Re: What are reef shoes and where do I get them?

Hi suzi! You wont need reef shoes.. just take flippers with you which you can borrow from your hotel each day.. We did heaps of snorkelling all over the island and didnt need them once.. We did take our own masks and snorkels but more for a hygenic reason and its good to have a good quality snorkel if you plan to do a lot which we did.. As for repellant.. if you are staying in vila there is no malaria and we didnt get bitten once or notice even one mozzie our whole trip and it had been raining heavy for the first 3 days of our trip .. the only time we noticed midgies (sandflies) it was at ekasup village on the friday night but there was 100 old ladies offering us theres so we didnt need it anyway! If your worried about malaria or traveling outside vila just make sure your repellant contains DEET .. 'Bushmans' is the best brand (I used to work at a camping shop)

queensland
reviews: 57
12. Re: What are reef shoes and where do I get them?

Suzi......DON"T let anyone tell you not to wear reef shoes. Coral cuts are notoriously bad. Please wear something on your feet even on the beach!

any advice you receive telling you otherwise or not to bother with insect repellent is foolish and to be ignored.

True the risk of Malaria is minimised but itchy, painful bites can be annoying on holiday.

Have a safe and happy trip.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
reviews: 72
13. Re: What are reef shoes and where do I get them?

Got the shoes now and will get a first aid kit and insect repellant - thanks

Suzi

14. Re: What are reef shoes and where do I get them?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, September 28, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Vanuatu