We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Check in time required for Savaii Ferry

Which Samoa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
reviews: 20
Check in time required for Savaii Ferry

Hi we are travelling to Savaii on a Tuesday, and thought we might rough it on the car ferry at 10am. I was wondering how early we should look to get to the Port to queue up and get tickets etc? I saw someone mention on another post that you needed to get there at least an hour before the boat to ensure you got a ticket, is this accurate? We also thought we might catch the local bus on Savaii round to the Savaii Lagoon Resort - is this feasable with 2 kids and 2 suitcases? Thanks

Auckland
reviews: 14
1. Re: Check in time required for Savaii Ferry

Hello Kiwitraveller 004,

If you arrive at the terminal no later than 45 minutes before and purchase your ticket, you will have no problems, but you must begin queuing up once the ferry arrives, (watch what the Samoans do and follow) else you may find that the shipping company decides that there are too many on board already, as does very occasionally happen even though you have a ticket.

You could travel on the bus with your suitcases. It is amazing how accommodating the Samoans are to this sort of thing. Goods of almost every description are loaded onto the buses and the passengers step around them, or sit on them, all with a happy spirit, so once you come off the ferry, hurry to the buses outside the terminal and tell them where you wish to go. Savaii Lagoon is in the village of Fagamalo. Someone will direct you to the correct bus.

If at any time you are not sure what to do, ask someone. Samoans are very open and generous people. They will assist willingly. You could probably have someone come forward and assist with your suitcases.

Alternatively you could arrange for Savaii lagoon to organise a taxi to pick you and the kids up. Most resorts will arrange this for you. The cost will be 70 to 80 tala.

Edited: 10:44 pm, March 24, 2013
Essex
reviews: 20
2. Re: Check in time required for Savaii Ferry

Thank you so much for your reply, I will indeed follow the lead of the locals. I really like the idea of catching the local bus round to the resort to take in all the sights and sounds, especially since we will not be in a rush. We are incredibly excited to be visiting Samoa at last, and can't wait to experience it all. Only 3 weeks to go. Thanks again

Dunedin, New Zealand
reviews: 4
3. Re: Check in time required for Savaii Ferry

Following on from Kiwitraveller questions... we are also taking the ferry across but have a car with us. The rental company are sorting out tickets etc.. what will be our process ?

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
reviews: 45
4. Re: Check in time required for Savaii Ferry

hi NZ jen. the car ferry ticket includes one adult for the ferry as well, so you will have to buy all other travellers a ferry ticket ( just at the terminal, and they are cheap) ,

enjoy your holiday, its so worth the effor to go to savaii, just gorgeous!

sue

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
reviews: 21
5. Re: Check in time required for Savaii Ferry

Malo lava NZ jen

The rental company will give you your temporary licence and the return tickets for the ferry which, as Sue says, includes the driver. The one way price per passenger is 12 tala. You must be at the wharf at least 1 hour before departure, I tend to get there 1.5 hours before just so we don't miss out, Samoa Shipping has been known to overbook and then you'd have to wait for the next ferry. Are you picking up from the airport?

Manuia le aso

Deb

Dunedin, New Zealand
reviews: 4
6. Re: Check in time required for Savaii Ferry

Hi Deb..yes will are getting the rental pick up from the airport, but we are not travelling to Savaii till a couple off days later. We will make sure we are there in plenty of time !!.

I presume the rental company will sort out my familys tickets as well If I ask them to.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
reviews: 21
7. Re: Check in time required for Savaii Ferry

Malo NZJen

Unfortunately the rental company won't get the tickets for the family for you, they can only be bought at the ticket office at the wharf, another reason to get there early to avoid the rush. Just get one member of the family to go and wait in the ticket office and buy all the tickets. There's a few food shops there if you feel like a cuppa or something to munch on while you're waiting.

Have a wonderful time

Deb

8. Re: Check in time required for Savaii Ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 03, 2014