We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay 2nd time round?

Which Samoa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 19
Where to stay 2nd time round?

We spent 2 wonderful weeks in Samoa almost 9 years ago....so it's time to go back at the end of June for 2 weeks. I assume there must be changes and/or new properties to choose from.

Last time we stayed at Virgin Cove Resort, Vacations in Savaii, Taufua and Sinalei.

Our favourites were Taufua and Vacations.

Any recommendations? We would love great snorkelling and kayaks(free hopefully)....and of course wonderful food(fish and vegetarian)....love the beach fales but need very comfortable bed/mattresses.

Sydney
reviews: 25
1. Re: Where to stay 2nd time round?

I would totally recommend Savaii Lagoon, great food - all fresh and locally sourced ingredients with real vego options not just plain salad, comfy beds,and plenty of kayaks at no additional cost plus Dive Savaii Tours are right there

Happy planning,

:-)

Sydney, Australia
2. Re: Where to stay 2nd time round?

Thank you...checked their website which looks great...it is more than we want to pay unfortunately.....but may consider for a couple of days.

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
reviews: 43
3. Re: Where to stay 2nd time round?

i would agree with elle's suggestion of savaii lagoon!

other places you might like are the fales on lalomanu beach, either taufaus again, ( even though they were completely distroyed with the tsunami they have rebuilt just as it was before, its gorgeous! or there is litia sini if you prefer a more enclosed fale.

vacations have changes alot, and will look nothing like you remember, this used to be a fovourite of ours to, but with the changes it just didnt have the same feel for us, so we no longer stay there, have you looked at vai moana resort, its more traditional with fales, but has a few different accomodation choices, and reasonably priced.

any other questions we are all very happy to help!

sue

Sydney, Australia
4. Re: Where to stay 2nd time round?

Thanks so much for your suggestions...I'll check those out now.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
reviews: 17
5. Re: Where to stay 2nd time round?

Malo lava

I second everything Sue and L have recommended. I have a few more suggestions. On Upolu there is a relatively new family run, authentic Samoan resort called Le Uaina about 30 mins out of Apia on the beach, it has separate bungalows all with en suites and verandas, the staff and food are great as well. As for fales, check out Fao Fao at Lalomanu too, much smaller than Taufua and Litia Sini but a wonderfully relaxing place.

On Savaii I can only say please try and have at least a day at Savaii Lagoon, it's amazing, incredible food, huge bungalows with large bathrooms and hot water, a small kitchenette and a little area outside where you can just watch paradise go by. They also have a glass bottom boat (the only one in Samoa) which is fantastic for exploring the marine life in the great beach which is literally 20 steps from your doorstep. Also check out Le Lagoto next door, they too have separate bungalows. Both resorts are in the village of Fagamalo which is just up the road from Manase where Vacations is. Also have a look at Jane's Fales.

Va-i-moana is a little more remote than the others and the fales are more upmarket than other fale resorts, they have wonderful enclosed fales totally decorated fa'a Samoa (the Samoan way). The owners, Rosie and Sale will go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable and have everything you need.

I just have 1 more recommendation which is not everyones cup of tea but apart from Savaii Lagoon is my favourite place to stay on Savaii. It's the very old and very rustic Vaisala Hotel (in the same vicinity as Va-i-moana). It has large r.ooms all with balconies and amazing views, ensuites with hot water (very unusual for budget accommodation), air con, comfortable beds but very basic decor. Breakfast is included and there is a limited menu of 2 choices for dinner and the food is amazing and cheap, you can get a fresh, as in caught an hour before, lobster for 25 tala ($AU10), salads, steak, all types of seafood. You can also buy ancient artefacts there as well. There is also a honeymoon cottage a few steps away from a wonderful little cove where the swimming is safe and great. It has a large bedroom, ensuite and air con as well and of course a lovely little veranda where you can end your day relaxing with a cool driink and marvelling at the stunning sunsets,

I'm rapt to hear you are going back and I hope we've given you a few ideas to go on with your planning.Are you intending on spending a week on each island, if so I'd start on Savaii.mainly because of transport hassles when you have to get to the airport from Savaii when you're leaving, Samoa Air now has a couple of flights a day from Faleolo Airport to Savaii if you want to avoid the ferry ride. If you have anymore questions you know where to find us.

Manuia le aso

Deb

Christchurch, New...
reviews: 69
6. Re: Where to stay 2nd time round?

I also enjoyed Vaisala. Tired but cute.

My favourite has to be Lauiula at Lano.Your basic fale but great beach, good service, good food,and you can request a real bed.

I also go to the Savaiian quite often when I'm tired of sand in my bed. The fan units are very good value with your own bathroom(cold water) and the food is reasonable with lots of fish and vegies with a chinese influence.On the waterfront but just a lava rock/muddy beach but they have a pool (presently upgrading to a concrete one, due to be ready February,I will check before I visit again in June) They also hire kayaks and bikes.

All of these options are less than 100 tala one person or 140 for two , great value.

Sydney, Australia
7. Re: Where to stay 2nd time round?

You're all so kind and generous with your information and suggestions....very much appreciated.

Lauiula and FaoFao sound lovely.

My thoughts are 1-2 nights in or around Apia.... Le Uaina looks nice although we stayed at Princess Tui last time because it was in a great location, probably then Savaii and lastly Lalomanu.

How far/easy is it to get to the airport from there?

Christchurch, New...
reviews: 69
8. Re: Where to stay 2nd time round?

I find it easier to go to Savaii straight off the plane- depending what time your flight is, and then leave from Apia to catch your departure flight, easy to organise a taxi, about 65 sat.

My favourite in Apia for 2 pax is Amanaki, 200 or 250 a room, includes breakfast, nice pool. aircon, ensuite and fridge in the room, walking distance to town, flea market etc

if you catch an early morning ferry from savaii and grab a waiting bus to the depot,you could then catch a bus to Lalomanu the same day.

Sydney, Australia
9. Re: Where to stay 2nd time round?

Thanks for that....Amanaki looks very good with excellent reviews too.

Not sure which airline to go with. I can't work out the times and length of transit in Auckland, time difference with Australia and Samoa etc...will have to phone Virgin i think.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
reviews: 17
10. Re: Where to stay 2nd time round?

Malo lava

Much easier to go with Virgin Samoa than via Aucjkland which can take up to 24 hours. The flights out of Sydney leave around 4pm (may have changed, just check) and get into Faleolo Airport around midnight. You'll find the Sunday flight the best to get as everything is starting again for the week when you arrive.

Although Princess Tui is in an amazing spot (we live just around the corner when in Samoa) it hsa become very rundown and dirty which is a shame.

Please take the advice and do Savaii first. If you stay at Lalomanu on your last day someone will transfer you to the airport. Alternatively stay in Apia on the last day, easier and cheaper to get to the airport. Le Manumea at Vailima is also a lovely place to stay in Apia.

Manuia le aso

Deb