We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport money exchange

Which Samoa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Airport money exchange

I've had a look through the posts on this subject. Can I confirm that when arriving at the airport on a late flight the easiest way to change money would be to take cash to one of the exchange counters (and preferably Western Union)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sydney
reviews: 25
1. Re: Airport money exchange

Hi,

I think exchanging at the airport is the easiest way to get cash quickly on your first night, so that you've got cash to use straight away.

If you plan to use your cards to make withdrawals from an ATM then make sure you check what your withdrawal fees will be BEFORE you leave Sydney because it will affect the balance in your accounts the more times you use it. The samoa ATM has a separate fee to the international withdrawal fee charged by your own bank.

Happy Travels,

L

Sydney
2. Re: Airport money exchange

Thanks for your reply.

I was going to bring AUD$ cash instead of using the ATM, and change the cash at the exchange desk. Would I still get a decent exchange rate this way?

We're heading straight down to Lalomanu and unlikely to head back to Apia so going to carry what we need and pay what we can on credit card as I assume there are no ATM's in Lalomanu.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
reviews: 17
3. Re: Airport money exchange

Malo lava

If you feel safe in bringing a lot of cash into Samoa then you'll be OK to exchange over the counter. You'll get a higher rate at the airport Western Union outlet than either the Westpac or ANZ tellers. If you do need to use an ATM though go to the Westpac oneover ANZ for a higher rate.

There isn't an ATM at Lalomanu so cash or credit card is great for drinks etc. When you're in the water or just don't feel like carrying valuables around or leaving them in your fale you can always leave them in the safe at reception.

Have a great trip.

Deb

Sydney
4. Re: Airport money exchange

Thanks for your help.

Weather forecast not looking great for the last week or so of August. Hoping "rain" means a bit of rain, not days of non-stop downpours... So much for dry season :-)

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
reviews: 17
5. Re: Airport money exchange

You're welcome

Samoan weather forecasts are like those the rest of the world over, unreliable and frequently totally wrong, probably because the weather the world over is changing so much.

Over the past few years in Samoa, particularly since the tsunami, there have been floods in the dry and droughts in the wet. All I can say is it would be very unusual to get 'wet' rain in late August and if there is it will be more than likely heavy in the early morning or evening and a bit of drizzle during the day. Don't let it ruin your holiday, it's so hot that sometimes the rain is appreciated.

Have a wonderful trip.

Fa soifua

Deb

6. Re: Airport money exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, August 20, 2013