We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Noumea....what will I do??

Which Noumea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland
reviews: 1
3 days in Noumea....what will I do??

Hi! I'm going to be in Noumea for about 3 days in early Feb, I'm super excited, but I'm realising I have no idea what I will do there! My budget is reasonably restricted, thought I'd stay in Noumea but would be keen to go on day trips eg to Ile des Pins, and maybe a guided trip involving an activity eg kayaking?

Any suggestions? Is this realistic, or will it be too much to fit in or insanely expensive??

Sydney
reviews: 16
1. Re: 3 days in Noumea....what will I do??

I am currently in Noumea staying at La Promenade apartments (very nice). The centre of Noumea itself is not very attractive at all and you can probably see it in half a day. The main tourist spots are here at Anse Vata which has a lovely beach and is also has a bit more life to it. We also stayed for a few days at the L'Escapade Resort on the island of Ilot Maitre (as we found all hotels on Isle of Pines very expensive). A word of warning though, if you decide to stay on one of the resort islands, it is very pricey as you have to eat your meals there and the prices are very inflated. You would be better off staying in Noumea and doing day trips. There are a number of passes which are on offer for each of these islands. As for the country, its very beautiful here and very very French - which is nice - but strange! I suggest you do a bit of research first as it is, as mentioned, not a "cheap location".

Chiang Mai, Thailand
reviews: 90
2. Re: 3 days in Noumea....what will I do??

Hi Kiwifausse,

There is a youth hostel in Noumea which will be the cheapest option. However this is often booked out well in advance so you will need to make a reservation, and hope it is still available as Feb is high season. This site has the details: www.fuaj.org/Nouvelle-Caledonie-Noumea (in French, but has phone number on it). You can also meet fellow travellers there which is of course part of the benefit of staying at a youth hostel. This hostel generally gets good reviews.

To save money on food, try to source at least two meals per day (or all of them) from the supermarket. Supermarket prices are higher than in most other places, but you'll spend less than if you would eat at a restaurant every day. The bigger supermarkets bake their own baguettes every hour or two so you get them fresh and warm, delicious! Buy some locally produced camembert, or a can of sardines or whatever and you have a meal. Bring a swiss army knife or similar to open any bottles, cans etc.!

There are various things to do in and around Noumea, day trips can be expensive particularly if they involve motorised transport etc. but at the youth hostel or hotel you stay there will be info on things to do. You can also wander around town and check out the architecture in the city centre and Quartier Latin, walk to the top of the Ouen Toro (mountain/big hill) in Anse Vata, go to the Centre Tjibaou (cultural centre) etc.

Have fun!

St. John's, Canada
reviews: 21
3. Re: 3 days in Noumea....what will I do??

Hi there;

I am a Canadian living in Noumea for about 18 months now. As already stated, Noumea is very expensive, especially when compared to the New Zealand dollar. For a small stay of three days I believe you could have a great time.

I would reccommend the day trip to Amadee Island. The price is a little high (about that of a day trip to Ile Des Pins) however includes many activities and a full buffet lunch. Good value for the money (in Noumea!). I believe the cost was around 11900 XPF/person. Early morning departure to the island (white sand, lookout lighthouse over the reef, great snorkelling, lunch and entertainment, glass bottom boat and reef tour...) and a return around 5 in the evening. Hotel transfers are included.

Reading reviews here it seems that Aquanature will make for a great day out, though I've yet to try it. It is ranked number 1 thing to do in Noumea on TA.

A cheep taxi boat (1000 XPF) to Ile des Canards makes for a good day snorkelling too if that's your thing.

Don't miss the Noumea Aquarium. I just returned from Sydney and I must say that the Noumea Aquarium surprisingly was near as good, better in some ways as the coral display is more impressive.

Rimbajuice on Anse Vata beach make a good burger at a decent price (for Noumea), but be sure to ask for it well done (unless you like very bloody near raw mburger) in which case it is still medium.

Skip the zoo, little more than some nice trees and peecocks.

Anything further I'd be glad to help. Enjoy

Auckland
reviews: 1
4. Re: 3 days in Noumea....what will I do??

Thanks Jason, great tips! Think I'll give the Ile Amedee day trip a shot :)

5. Re: 3 days in Noumea....what will I do??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 12, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Noumea