We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trawa Hospital

Auckland Region...
Trawa Hospital

Can anyone tell me if the current location of the hospital on Tarawa is the same location as the hospital during the Japanese invasion 1941-3 prior to the US Marines invaded in Nov 1943?

Did they rebuild the Hospital after the US invaded. Was it on the same location as prior to the US invasion?

7 replies to this topic
Irvine, California
reviews: 51
1. Re: Trawa Hospital

the japanese were on betio, which is at the west end. the main hospital today is between bariki and biekenbeu. so i would say the answer is no.

Auckland Region...
2. Re: Trawa Hospital

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I realised that after I had posted my question. However is there anyway of finding out the location of the hospital with "Lunatic enclosure" on Tarawa in Oct 1941?

Napier, New Zealand
reviews: 27
3. Re: Trawa Hospital

Hi Kevin

Obviously you were trying to locate the exact spot where the NZ Coastwatchers were held and subsequently beheaded. Did you have any luck in locating this? I'm heading up there just after Christmas and out of respect for those involved I would be interested knowing exactly where the events occurred (e.g. was it where the memorial is today?). Thanks in anticipation.

Irvine, California
reviews: 51
4. Re: Trawa Hospital

i think they have a head stone in betio on the south side cemetary.

Napier, New Zealand
5. Re: Trawa Hospital

Thanks for your time in replying. Greatly appreciated.

Rome, Italy
reviews: 7
6. Re: Trawa Hospital

There is actually a clinic in Betio, quite hidden, 200 meters north from the pier. It's in function now, maybe if you go there and ask people who work there they can tell you some information more.

Anyway, if you are interested in Japanese relicts, the best thing is take a walk on the beach, starting from the Taiwan park (west coast of Betio, in the south), clockwise until the pier (east coast, north). It's full of amazing things, you'll find hammocks tended over japanese cannons, and many example of other relicts just swallowed by local houses.

Another highly interesting place is Banaba: everything there is carelessly left abandoned, you find bunkers here and there, the church still has the holes from japanese bullets, and I am sure that if you search in the bush you will be able to collect bullets and other things from the floor.

Napier, New Zealand
7. Re: Trawa Hospital

Thanks for replying; I will follow up. I will be doing a Molly's Tour; from what I have heard she has a wealth of information.

Reply to: Trawa Hospital
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Republic of Kiribati
More Republic of Kiribati Topics