We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip with 4 young children..is Columbia safe??

Which Bogota hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ashby de la Zouch...
reviews: 5
Family trip with 4 young children..is Columbia safe??

I am considering taking a trip to columbia with my husband and four children..one is still a baby. I just wanted to know is columbia safe for families.. my farther has a house there but he is unsure if its a good place for children his wife is from Bogota and she says it is safe, all i have heard is bad things.... And if it is safe where would be some good places to go as a family xx Thank you. :)

2 replies to this topic
Medellin
reviews: 53
1. Re: Family trip with 4 young children..is Columbia safe??

Colombians generally love kids so I think you would be looked after very well wherever you go. Be sensible, and stay in decent areas and you should be fine. The coffee region is a good family place with the Coffee Park - some Canadian friends with a young family recently went there and had a ball (assuming you are not limited to Bogota?).

http://www.parquenacionaldelcafe.com/newpage/

Oakville, Canada
reviews: 3
2. Re: Family trip with 4 young children..is Columbia safe??

Colombia is a relatively big country and it is dificult to generalize. I agree with Bicks that the coffee region is quite a good region for its safety and also for its relatively nice climate.

The main tourist destinations are quite safe, unless you behave irresponsible.

I share also Bick's view that Colombians are very kid friendly in general terms.

If you should plan to go to the Caribbean coast: It is usually really hot and humid and in my opinion, Colombian resorts are not at par with resorts in the D.R. or Mexico and the beaches are not the greatest in the world (except for Islas del Rosarion and some in Parque Tairona).

To sum it up: Colombia with kids can be o.k but you need to be specific about where yoou want to go and what you want to do.

Last word of advice: I took my 9 month old to the coffee region and the Caribbean coast some sixteen years ago and it worked out fine and the situation improved a lot since then....

Reply to: Family trip with 4 young children..is Columbia safe??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted