We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 hour layover recommendations

Which Bogota hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 41
5 hour layover recommendations

Hi,

I have a 5 hour layover in Bogota, and I want to get out and see a little of the city. I am a fluent Spanish speaker and experienced traveler. I will not have any luggage and I am flying in business class so I am not sure if that will speed up my entry back through security, but I will certainly be the first person off the plane! :)

Any suggestions? Could I go to Montserrat and grab a quick bite? Or should I wander Candelaria for a couple of hours? Thoughts?

Any help is appreciated!

20 replies to this topic
Medellin
reviews: 64
1. Re: 5 hour layover recommendations

With business you will exit pretty quick with no bags. Assume you will have already checked in for your next flight which will give you more time. No idea what time or day and assume it will be daylight.

1) Catch a taxi to the cable car at Monserate (sp) and take it up for a great views over the city. This is near candalaria so close enough to visit there if you have time. You can eat up the top or down the bottom.

2) Taxi to Candalaria and walk around.

3) Taxi to Zona rosa; shops and restaurants and look around. Combine with Park 93.

My personal choice would be 1 although in reality you will not have that much time given clearing and then taxis back and forth. Traffic in Bogota can be a nightmare depending on your arrival hour.

Edited: 11:44 pm, February 07, 2014
New York City, New...
2. Re: 5 hour layover recommendations

Thank you Bicks...how long do you think I should allot to make it back to the airport? I arrive at noon and my flight is at 5pm. I will be all checked in...thanks much!

Loveland, Colorado
3. Re: 5 hour layover recommendations

Hi there...if you are planning this for a week day you have to calculate up to 1.5 hours to get from the Candelaria to the Airport, since you are going to be right in rush hour, traffic is horrendous. On a Sat or Sun, the trip may be a little faster, we have made it in 40 minutes. Also, you will need time at the airport to clear the tax authority, immigration, and two security checks. Good luck!

New York City, New...
4. Re: 5 hour layover recommendations

How much time would I need to go up Montserrat and back? Also, what should I expect to pay for taxi fare to and from the airport? Thanks again for the replies!

Willemstad, Curacao
reviews: 82
5. Re: 5 hour layover recommendations

Montserat Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours

Are you flying domestic?

New York City, New...
6. Re: 5 hour layover recommendations

No....going to Lima on Avianca. Do they have expedited security for business class?

Medellin
reviews: 64
7. Re: 5 hour layover recommendations

There is no fast lane at immigration for business unfortunately as of when i last flew late Dec. That said, it is normally pretty quick.

Willemstad, Curacao
8. Re: 5 hour layover recommendations

If you go Lima u must board one hour before. That doesn't leave much time to do a lot.. Why not stay over one night and see Bogota..

New York City, New...
9. Re: 5 hour layover recommendations

Thanks all - I think I might head to candelaria and grab lunch and walk around for a bit. Any idea what taxi fare should be from/to airport?

Willemstad, Curacao
10. Re: 5 hour layover recommendations

Taxi one way would be around 10-15 USD..

Reply to: 5 hour layover recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted