We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging Venezuelan Bolivars for Pesos for Dollars?

Which Bogota hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Exchanging Venezuelan Bolivars for Pesos for Dollars?

Greetings friends, my Venezuelan girfriend could not obtain US Dollars from the government currency system (CADAVIL) in time for her trip to the US leaving Dec.16 from Caracas. She flies first to Bogota where she picks up her transfer to Houston, Texas and then to Newark, N.J. Is it even possible for her to exchange her Bolivars for Colombian Pesos and then to Dollars or from Bolivars to Dollars in the Airport in Bogota? She has a 5 hour layover from 8pm to 1am.I know this is not the best option ideally but it might be her only way to get dollars for her trip. I would greatly appreciate if he you have any information. Thank you.

12 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
reviews: 2
1. Re: Exchanging Venezuelan Bolivars for Pesos for Dollars?

Why doesn't she simply withdraw US Dollars from an ATM when she lands in Houston?

Cheers,

Terry

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Colombia
reviews: 13
2. Re: Exchanging Venezuelan Bolivars for Pesos for Dollars?

Norman

Yes she can exchange Bolivares for USD. But she will get a terrible exchange rate.

Martian

Venezuelanos are very limited in using credit cards abroad. They need to request an authorization from CADIVI. Otherwise their card will simply not work abroad.

Calgary, Canada
3. Re: Exchanging Venezuelan Bolivars for Pesos for Dollars?

Thanks for the clarification Stephane, I had no idea.

Norman, it's time for you to set up an auxiliary credit/debit card in your gal's name... ;-)

Cheers,

Terry

Philadelphia...
4. Re: Exchanging Venezuelan Bolivars for Pesos for Dollars?

Thanks guys for your response, I didn't find them until now. Stephanie, can she exchange bolivars for pesos in the Bogota international airport. We can exchange pesos for dollars in an exchange place in New York City or at Newark Airport. so if she can exchange the bolivars for pesos first in the airport then it's a go. Martian even if I set up a auxiliary credit card it won't help her to exchange her bolivars because no exchange business in US will touch bolivars. Thanks though.

Calgary, Canada
5. Re: Exchanging Venezuelan Bolivars for Pesos for Dollars?

Norman, what I meant was set her up with an auxiliary card based in the US...

Cheers,

Terry

Medellin
reviews: 53
6. Re: Exchanging Venezuelan Bolivars for Pesos for Dollars?

Can't she change to USD before she leaves on the street market?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Colombia
reviews: 13
7. Re: Exchanging Venezuelan Bolivars for Pesos for Dollars?

The black market in Venezuela makes the Bolivar worth less than paper toilet. Not to mention it is illegal.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
reviews: 7
8. Re: Exchanging Venezuelan Bolivars for Pesos for Dollars?

...why not meet in Colombia...this would give you both a fantastic holiday and an opportunity to exchange her Bolivars a more freindlier country.

Florida
reviews: 4
9. Re: Exchanging Venezuelan Bolivars for Pesos for Dollars?

What can you get in Columbia in exchange for Venz. bolivars?

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
reviews: 7
10. Re: Exchanging Venezuelan Bolivars for Pesos for Dollars?

Juan, forget Bolivars; bring flour, fertilizer, tanker trucks of gasoline...cheap subsidized goods to sell in Colombia.

Reply to: Exchanging Venezuelan Bolivars for Pesos for Dollars?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted