We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viva Colombia Airlines?

Which Bogota hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago, IL
reviews: 12
Viva Colombia Airlines?

Need to book a flight from Cartagena to Medellin, and Viva Colombia is showing up at less than half the price of Avianca. Does anyone have experience with this new airline? Are they dependable? On time? Do we need to worry about them cancelling flights?

Thanks

61 replies to this topic
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
reviews: 7
1. Re: Viva Colombia Airlines?

We've had no reports back,good or bad re: Viva Airlines service - it is a little early to evaluate them.Hang on for a report or book a cheap flight before they raise the price.

btw you have 3 similar posts regarding the same topic ...

Edited: 6:18 pm, July 04, 2012
Owatonna, Minnesota
reviews: 1
2. Re: Viva Colombia Airlines?

I am travelling with this airline this weekend and plan to post a report on my experience after that. I am in Medellin at the moment and I have heard from my local hosts that they have had some difficulties with delays. My flights with this airline will be round trip from Medellin to Bogota and then from Medellin to Pereira. I am really curious how this airline works out, especially as I agree that their fares are almost unbelievably low.

The main thing to keep in mind with Viva Colombia is that they have limited flights and a small number of planes, so if you have a delay or cancellation you may not be able to just jump on the next plane bound for the same destination a few hours later. When you search for flights, notice how many options they give you. That might give you an idea of how quickly you can rebook if something happens.

Graz
3. Re: Viva Colombia Airlines?

I´d like to book a flight from cartagena-medellin and then another medellin-baranquilla. i tried it several times now, but when it comes to the payment via pagosonline.net, my credit card always gets refused. I also tried with another one, the same problem. So I guess its not me. Does anyone have the same problems? The flight is tomorrow, do you think its possible to get to the airport and just buy the ticket there?

regards, thomas

New York City, New...
reviews: 115
4. Re: Viva Colombia Airlines?

Had the same problem. My friend and I both tried two different VISA cards (credit and debit) and nothing. They're American cards, which I'm guessing is the issue. The issue is not on the credit card side.They're saying they're not seeing the charge at all and are not declining it. So Pagos Online must be doing it.

We were offered to buy the flight at the airport, so it's possible, though ours was more expensive to buy that way (by around $10).

Unfortunately, we've been trying this for several days and the flight price now went up. Ugh.

New York City, New...
reviews: 115
5. Re: Viva Colombia Airlines?

Got in touch with Pagosonline and the airline. Turns out they can't accept non Colombian cards yet. The other way to buy is to choose the Baloto payment option which means you may cash at a place that does Baloto. We were told it's shops that sell lottery tickets etc. Too late for us since our flight price went up, but hope the info helps someone else.

Berkeley...
reviews: 3
6. Re: Viva Colombia Airlines?

I've actually booked the flight with a US card and flown them Medellin-Bogota. The airline is reliable, but can be a hassle. Imagine southwest but instead of having boarding groups, everyone boards at once. If you have ever flown vivaaerobus in Mexico it is alost exactly the same.

They are very strict on the weight requirements, so even if you just carry-on be sure that all of your luggage does not exceed 10 Kilos, unless you pay the higher rate to check a bag.

Mazeppa, Minnesota
7. Re: Viva Colombia Airlines?

I flew from Medellin-Bogota and Bogota-Medellin and it was on time and very nice service for the price. I did have problems with the payment; it does not take any of my American, Capital or Discover cards. I had to use my brother’s Colombian credit card to buy the ticket. If you choose Baloto option you have to bring the cash to that office by 4:20 pm day of the reservation.

Melbourne, Florida
reviews: 1
8. Re: Viva Colombia Airlines?

I had no problem reserving RT Bogota-Medellin flights from the U.S. on a MC credit card, with confirmation numbers. No probs checking on the flights, the flights were on time. The planes are new, and the fare was the same as bus fare.

Bogotá...
reviews: 96
9. Re: Viva Colombia Airlines?

Me gusta la aerolinea, sin duda alguna volvería a elegirla... muy economico viajar con ellos

Nashville, Tennessee
10. Re: Viva Colombia Airlines?

I just purchased my tickets a few days ago from them and it was a major hassle but ultimately it worked out. I'm doing this from the US with US-based cards. First, the PagosOnline they used kept denying my Mastercard, yet my American bank said no charges were even appearing on their end. Then I tried my Visa, the transaction went through but then I got an error message when I was supposed to get my confirmation. I used Skype to first try their Bogota office, no answer. Baranquilla office, guy said it was my browser, tried a different browser, still crashed. Finally, I called the office in Cali and a friendly agent was able to pull up my payment and process the plane ticket purchase. I had to do this each time for the three legs I purchased, Bogota-Cartagena-Medellín-Bogotá. Now, to me paying $150 instead of $300 it was worth it, but if you cannot speak Spanish and calmly deal with a heap of bureaucracy.....

Forums in Spanish had a bit more information about them, seems that delays remain a significant issue because they only have 5 planes they run across the whole country every day, but they put people up in a hotel or rebook on another airline in case of major delays or cancellations. I'm.... curious as to how it will go.

Reply to: Viva Colombia Airlines?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted