We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The upcoming trip to Bolivia and Peru is getting closer

Which La Paz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stavanger, Norway
reviews: 118
The upcoming trip to Bolivia and Peru is getting closer

Hi

My trip to Bolivia and Peru is gettting closer :-) In the end of September we are flying to La Paz and I guess we will relax there for a few days to get used to the altitude. It is about 4000 meters above sea level so it can cause a bit of problems for the body.

We will probably take some day trips..probably to lake Titicaca, to Aymara ruins Tiahuanacu, Chacaltaya (which is 5395 meters above sea level).

We will also go to Macchu Picchu and Cusco in Peru but I’m afriad that we won’t get to take the inca trail walk :-(

We also plan to go to Salar de Uyuni (a salt lake in Bolivia), to Toro Toro and the Amazonas.

I look forward to the trip...it will be my first time in South America so it will be a new experience for me. We are visting the brother of a friend of mine and he is doing most of the planning for us and I think it will be good to have someone with local knowledge there.

Regards

Gard

Washington, DC
reviews: 1
1. Re: The upcoming trip to Bolivia and Peru is getting closer

its good that you have someone there you know. try going to copacabana. the church there is beautiful

Argentina
reviews: 23
2. Re: The upcoming trip to Bolivia and Peru is getting closer

Gard: I envy you. I did not have the time to do everything, but went to LAke Titicaca, I coudn`t see Isla del Sol. I coud not go to Tiawanaku, and the city tour was short, but I love Bolivia. I am from the NW of Argentina. I recommend Argentina also, specially Salta and Jujuy.

You will love Soth America. I am sure.

Giena

Mission Viejo...
3. Re: The upcoming trip to Bolivia and Peru is getting closer

Hi There.

Just came back from Bolivia Peru and argentina. we took a 2 month trip. You will love it, especially if you are the adventurous type. I went with my wife and kids, ages 13, 15 and a8. In Bolivia, I recommend you go to Lake Titicaca not just for a day trip . Stay a couple of days. Copacabana is a really nice funky place right on tlake Titicaca. Hostal La Cupula is the place to stay. Cheap, great views and great rooms and superb restaurant. Take a day trip to Isla del sol, or even stay there one night in Yumuni. You can take a boat to the nothern port and take a beautiful hike/ walk to this village. Its gorgeous, and the air is clean and crisp.

Uyuni Salt Flats. Don't miss them. we wnet with Tonito tours. They have an office in La paz. saty at theri hotel in Uyuni. Cheap, great restaurant and frinedly. The owner is a gringo married to a Bolivian (Susy). Tell them the Iribarne family , Enrique, Tonya and kids recommended them. We took their three night tour. $85-90 per person if I remember correctly. It is am awesome adventure. No comfort here, and some altitude sickness, but well worth it. You will never see sceneries like these. Tonito tours in lapaz can big your bus/ train tickets to go to Uyuni.

Cusco and Machu Picchu: Good choice! We satyed in Cusco at Hotel Los Ninos. about $28 a night. Can find cheaper, but this place has a special feeling. all proceeds goe towars an orphanage. The owner of the place is a Dutch women who has dedicated her life to help and provide food, shelter and education to hundreds of unpriviledged children You will find it on the web.

Machu Pichu: For the traditional Inca trail, you need reservations. It is about 240-290 per person, depnading on what you can negotiate. Cusco travel agency took care of us. They did everything flawlessly. Picked us up at the airport, took us to our hotel. Trek includes all food , transportation to trek trailhead and train back to Cusco. We loved it. don't miss it. If you can't do the original Inca Trail, there another one, which is 5 days, and heard is equally good.

Finally, take a day trip while in Cusco to the Urubamba valley and the sites arroud ther: Chinchero, Pisac, Ollaytaytambo. You will love it.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your trip!!

Enrique Iribarne and family

California, USA

Mission Viejo...
4. Re: The upcoming trip to Bolivia and Peru is getting closer

Gard:

By the way, just noticed you are from Norway, Stavanger. Been to your country a few years ago. Visited my cousin who was living in Arendal, working for an insurance company named Gaard. Loved it. I seem to remember that Stavanger was not far from there! What a beautiful country!!

Enrique

peloha
5. Re: The upcoming trip to Bolivia and Peru is getting closer

Maure,

What other things did you do while in Bolivia? We are going in April for one month. We are considering the Gravity Bike tour to Corioco. Also the Madidi. Did you happen to do either of these? I found your post one of the most helpful I have seen.

Mission Viejo...
6. Re: The upcoming trip to Bolivia and Peru is getting closer

Peloha:

Thanks for your comments. We did not do the bike ride down to Coroica, however we did the walk through the inca trail down to Coroico, which was great!. I heard from people at our hotel that the ride is awesome and there are a number of agencies that offer it. Takes about 5-6 hours again, all agencies are on a street close to the cathedral in La Paz, forget the name, but you won't miss it. Just ask anyone on the street. The cool thing is that you are going from cold temperatures at the top, down to subtropical weather in Coroico at approx 1100 metres. We stayed at a great funky place Hostal Sol y Luna in Coroico. Cheap , rates from 6/7 dollars for share bathroom to about 14-20 with private bathroom, depending on size for a double. They have cottages. Just type Sol y luna hostal in the internet. They have a website. We met other people that stayed at Hostal Esmeralda and they were happy as well. Both places have swimming pool.

That's it as far as ahat we visited there: TITIcaca, La paz, Coroico, Uyuni. Beautiful country, about 95% indigenous, people are very friendly, and lot's to do!

Be aware of your surrounding especially in La Paz. We did not have any problems, but we nerer gave the opportunity for pickp[ocketers either. Even the locals will warn you on the street!

Maure

peloha
7. Re: The upcoming trip to Bolivia and Peru is getting closer

Gard,

I have never heardabout a walk on the Inca trail to

Corioco. Could you tell me more about that?

Thanks,

Betsy

Mission Viejo...
8. Re: The upcoming trip to Bolivia and Peru is getting closer

Hi Peloha. Its Maure. I am the who put the info on inca trail to Coroico. It is called El Choro. What you do, you take a bus to the top of the Coroico road. First part is up hill maybe one hour and 1/2, rest of the trail, basically downhill. It is well maintained, you have the typical stone peved inca trail, you go though some precarious ruins and villages. You go from high mountain scenry to tropical at the end. First day is about 7-8 hours walking and you camp by a river and bridge.. Second day, you start getting into trpical scenery, you go down to 2000 metres. Its a pretty long day, about 8 hours.. Third day, just 2-3 hours and you arrive to a road where you take a bus to Coroico. (not far.) you can do it with a guide You can book it in La Paz.

Ireland
reviews: 7
9. Re: The upcoming trip to Bolivia and Peru is getting closer

I would recommend the bike ride with Gravity Assisted down the worlds most dangerous road to Coroico. It was fantastic.

10. Re: The upcoming trip to Bolivia and Peru is getting closer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, August 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about La Paz