We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salar de uyuni to Santiago?

Which Bolivia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 5
Salar de uyuni to Santiago?

Hi All,

I am planning to take some time in December to go to Chile, but figured it would be great to visit the Salar de Uyuni Salt Flats in Bolivia since it's fairly close. I've done a reasonable amount of traveling, but have never been to South America before, so have a lot of questions. :)

Are there any buses that go from Salar de Uyuni to Santiago? If so, how long does that bus trip take? If not, what is the nearest city to Salar de Uyuni where I can take a (reasonably comfortable) bus to Santiago? I'm assuming a bus is still cheaper than flying.

Also, how would I get from La Paz to Salar de Uyuni Salt Flats? I'm assuming there are tour operators in La Paz that can arrange Salt Flat tours/excursions? I'll be by myself, so want to make sure I'm with a tour group of some sort.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! I did a search and most itineraries are going from Santiago to La Paz (not the other way around).

Thanks,

Karen

1 reply
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 3
1. Re: Salar de uyuni to Santiago?

Hi Karen!

I'm not sure if you're still looking for advice on the matter but I've been researching a few routes (Peru-Bolivia-Chile). I'm planning to use the PeruHop & BoliviaHop bus passes. These services take you all the way from Lima to La Paz with various stops in between. I like this because you're with like-mind travelers and you can go at your own pace. If you're adventurous like I am, you can bike Death Road when in La Paz as well. From La Paz to Uyuni Salt Flats I'm thinking of using Red Planet via Kanootours.com as they offer a transfer to San Pedro de Atacama with their tour. I stumbled upon another bus service Greentoadbus.com which would take me from San Pedro to Santiago.

Check em out and see what fits your itinerary and budget. I'd like to note that I haven't used these companies as of yet but heard good things. Safe travels :)

Mike

Reply to: Salar de uyuni to Santiago?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted