We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in La Paz late at night

Which Bolivia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arriving in La Paz late at night

Hi-I'm after some advice please!

I'm flying to La Paz at the end of August on my own, and I arrive at around 1am (on a flight from Lima).

Firstly, I've been trying to find a hotel or hostel (as long as there is a bed and shower!)just for the rest of that night, with 24hr check in, but I'm not having much luck. Are there any recommendations? Or is there a rest area in El Alto airport perhaps?

Also, I've just read a blog about how young girls on their own should NEVER get a taxi at night. This will be me exactly, and now I'm a very worried traveller. How else can I get from El Alto to La Paz, to the hotel (which I hope to find soon)??!

How do I know who is genuine, or who isn't?

Thanks-any advice is greatly appreciated!

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 6
1. Re: Arriving in La Paz late at night

A bit hard to make a recommendation for a hotel withour a price range.

Have a look at this place- they do say they have a 24hr concierge service so they might do a 24hr check-in. It did cost about $70US when I stayed there last year. When I got up early in the morning (5am) to go to the airport there was someone sitting at the front desk and they arranged a taxi for me. There is an email contact for them so get in touch with them and ask them if they can help you. They might be able to have a driver meet you at the airport with yout name writen on a board- one way of eliminating taking the "unknown" taxi.

gruporosario.com/hotels-grupo-rosario/hotel-…

One other thing. There is probably an "official taxi rank" outside the airport. Catching a taxi from here would help eliminate any risk if the hotel can't arrange a pick up for you. Not quite the same thing but I arrived into LaPAz at about 11pm on a bus. At the bus station there was an "official" taxi rank so it was not the same as hailing one in the street. I had advised the hotel what time I was coming and they were looking out for me to welcome me inside.

Good luck and I can share your concerns. I didn't originally plan to arrive into La Paz at that time at night but it was they only way to avoid a road blockage that was starting at midnight.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 99
2. Re: Arriving in La Paz late at night

yes Rosario is a nice hotel.. I stayed there before.. as suggested try to arrange pick-up thru' the hotel..

3. Re: Arriving in La Paz late at night

Thanks very much for your help! Unfortunately Hotel Rosario is booked up already, but I'll keep looking!

Virginia Beach...
reviews: 18
4. Re: Arriving in La Paz late at night

If you are backpacking, check out the Adventure Brews. If you are looking from something more high end I reccommend la Casona, I am sure the Adventure is open past 1 AM and La casona has someone that will open the door for you, There is an official taxi stand right outside the airport. Although it will be scary, specially if you do not speak Sapnish or have been in La Paz before (because the airport location will look real dodgy at first.). My tactic, whne I have arrived in a place I do not know, is to strike up conversation with another woman on the plane or immigration line, and share a Taxi. (the taxi ride is about $10 US) Both hotels are straight down the same street as you exit the highway. The taxi should not make any turns to arrive to either of the hotels.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 156
5. Re: Arriving in La Paz late at night

I stayed at this hotel across the street from Rosario. The lady owner is very nice, lives on property and speaks a bit of English, but the late night staff probably doesn't. However if you have any problems you should be able to straighten this out with the owner in the morning. It looks like you can book it online now.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294072-d205177…

6. Re: Arriving in La Paz late at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 14, 2014