We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Paz in July 2013... Airfares + what to see?

Which Bolivia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 31
La Paz in July 2013... Airfares + what to see?

Hi folks,

My wife and I are looking to visit friends and tourist sites in the La Paz area in July. We have free accommodations (friends) and probably free "tour guides," although we may venture out on our own for some things.

Two main questions:

1) Airfare seems pretty high. Suggestions on airlines and ways to find the least costly tickets? When to buy, where to buy? Any tips on this actual itinerary? One of my biggest fears is lost luggage, because I'm 290lbs and wear sizes that are generally unavailable in South or Central America. I cannot imagine anything more horrible than being thousands of miles from home and only one set of clothes...

2) What are the must-do's and must-see's? I enjoy urban and rural culture and I really love historical and ancient sites.

Thank you for your information!

P.S., I speak Spanish, so language isn't a concern, beyond perhaps Bolivia-specific vocabulary that I might not know... anyone have the 4-1-1 on that, too?

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 57
1. Re: La Paz in July 2013... Airfares + what to see?

See Tiwanaku, near Lake Titicaca. Amazing. Pre-Inca.

Houston, Texas
2. Re: La Paz in July 2013... Airfares + what to see?

No suggestions on locating reasonable airline tickets? I do not feel that $1200/person is reasonable, but that's all I can find for round-trip. We are coming from Houston (IAH).

Stanley, Falkland...
3. Re: La Paz in July 2013... Airfares + what to see?

Why should fares be cheap, or 'reasonable'. It works by supply and demand. There is comparatively little demand, so fares are relatively high.

Have you tried search engines such as skyscanner, kayak, etc?

Houston, Texas
4. Re: La Paz in July 2013... Airfares + what to see?

Do you work for an airline or something? Reasonable, fair. The prices to South America are not high because of lack of demand. The flights are full and frequent. They are high because more travel to South America is business-related compared with the massive traffic to Europe, much of which is tourism business. Businessmen don't care what tickets cost, because their company pays for it, so what's another $500? Vacationers plan trips based on cost, so inflated ticket prices = fewer tourists to that particular destination. You'd think South America would catch onto this as well.

Nonetheless, it doesn't make sense that you can go to Paris direct for $700 from Houston, but it's $1200-1500 to La Paz, with 1-3 stops, which is a SHORTER trip.

If you have nothing useful to add, please don't reply to posts.

Houston, Texas
5. Re: La Paz in July 2013... Airfares + what to see?

I'm definitely going to go to Tiwanaku and Titicaca! I am now also looking for neat things to see in the urban area of La Paz where we'll be staying. Food, culture, and doesn't have to be "touristy." Prefer not, actually.

Edited: 12:14 pm, December 03, 2012
Stanley, Falkland...
6. Re: La Paz in July 2013... Airfares + what to see?

There are experts on the Air Travel forum, who will give you the answer to your question about the cost of air travel.

I think you'll find it has little to do with the distance a plane flies, but, as I have said, supply and demand, and competition on a route.

As you say, lots of demand to S American, but high fares. Why so? Because businessmen are willing to pay them, as you say, and the planes are full. So why would the airlines reduce the fares? The planes are full. They are not charities.

I'm sorry you don't understand this, but feel free to ask the experts, if you don't believe me.

Houston, Texas
7. Re: La Paz in July 2013... Airfares + what to see?

Thanks.

Moving on to La Paz recommendations!

8. Re: La Paz in July 2013... Airfares + what to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:19 am, May 24, 2013
9. Re: La Paz in July 2013... Airfares + what to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 24, 2014