We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salar de Uyuni???

Which Bolivia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West New York, New...
reviews: 45
Salar de Uyuni???

Hi I'm trying to find a realible tour for a 3day tour of el salar de Uyuni, any recommendations of tour companies, thanks.

Victor

London
reviews: 73
1. Re: Salar de Uyuni???

Tupiza tours are pretty good

Scunthorpe, United...
2. Re: Salar de Uyuni???

Fremens also seem to have a good reputation.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 2
3. Re: Salar de Uyuni???

Tupiza Tours are very good. They can arrange your Tiwanaku tour as well.

They have offices in Tupiza and La Paz.

Vieques
reviews: 27
4. Re: Salar de Uyuni???

We went with Tupiza Tours and were supremely happy.

Even if you do not start in Tupiza they meet you where everyou need to be met.

West New York, New...
reviews: 45
5. Re: Salar de Uyuni???

Thanks for the info.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 6
6. Re: Salar de Uyuni???

Review for Alessandro Adventure Travel (Tupiza)

After arriving in Tupiza I spent a full afternoon visiting tour agency after tour agency. The three main tour agencies which offered the tour from Tupiza to Uyuni were Alessandro Adventure Tours, Tupiza Tours and Torre Tours. I booked a triathalon (driving/ horse riding/mountain biking) day tour with Tupiza Tours and it was amazing. The horse riding was quite slow so we didn't make it to the Inca Valley, but otherwise a perfect way to see a lot of the surrounding area in a short time.

I booked my "Salar de Uyuni" tour through Alessandro Adventure Tours and was very happy with the tour. Rather than taking the classical route, I opted to take the 'alternative route' and as one person in a jeep with three other tourists, we each paid 1400Bs. Cheaper tours are available for the classic route and for agencies that pack five people into a jeep. Also the cheaper tours have more basic accommodation (some without electricity etc). This price also included sleeping bag rental.

Day 1 we left at 7am and drove for most of the day passed some very beautiful scenery, stopping on many occasions to take photographs and eat lunch. We had to pay an extra 150Bs to enter the park. Our accommodation for the night was really good - comfortable and warm beds, clean toilets, dining area, electricity (can charge camera batteries) but no showers.

Day 2 we left at about 8:30am and we supposed to visit the Lagoona Verde however our driver did not take us there. The agencies try to tell you that the lagoon is not green anymore, but friends went there recently on the classical route and their photos looked green enough for me to want to see it for myself. You should all remind the driver than you want to visit the Lagoona Verde. Again we drove a lot today, stopping at many places to take photographs etc. We arrived early in the evening allowing time for a hot shower. The accommodation in Villa Mar was also very nice. There was a wood fire where we dined. The beds were comfortable and warm.

Day 3 again we left at about 8:30am and we visited the most beautiful place that I have ever seen today at the black lagoon (Lagoona Negro). We continued to drive with photo stops along the way, until reaching the outskirts of the Salar de Uyuni. We stayed in a salt hotel which was really nice but I felt that the night was much colder - so perhaps wear more clothes to bed! There was only one shower to share between everyone, and many people complained that it was not hot. I didn't turn on the cold tap and I found the shower temperature hot enough to enjoy the shower. (again, its 10Bs for a hot shower).

Day 4 a very early morning in order to see the sunrise from the salt flats. I took the tour at the start of April, and there was only some water at the entrance and exit of the salt flat. We did not have the chance to take reflexion photos. We were able to visit the fish shaped island with the cacti however. We took amusing photographs on the salt pan then went to Uyuni (arriving by about 2pm).

The food offered on the tour was basic in my opinion. We were served a lot of pastas, chicken and potatoes. The 'snacks' were mostly dry biscuits eg Oreos and very sugary lollie pops. We had a juice one day. There was not much fruit and vegetables to eat.

Our driver, Rolando, was very nice and an excellent driver. We always felt safe to be in the jeep with him. He is more confident speaking Spanish however did understand most of my English questions, and was able to answer quite well in English. If he is your driver you would not need to spend extra money for an English speaking guide.

Usually there is a driver and a cook that travels with you in the jeep. Unfortunately our cook (Naomi) had to return to Tupiza (by public bus) because our driver Rolando, had forgotten to lock his house. This was not a problem for us because it gave us more room in the jeep, and Rolando was also a pretty good cook, despite driving all day, then cleaning the vehicle, and preparing our food - he did an excellent job.

The vehicle was probably not in the best condition - there was a crack in the front windscreen, the front tyres were bald, and the whole journey was completed with the "check" engine light on. Once we arrived in Uyuni, the jeep decided it wasn't happy, and Rolando could not get it to change up gears, so we coasted into Uyuni with a maximum speed of 20km/hr.

THE TRANSFER:

After finishing the tour in Uyuni, I paid an extra 350Bs for a transfer to San Pedro de Atacama. This was the price quoted by Alessandro Adventure Travel, and they would organise the transfer for me though their "friend" in Uyuni. The transfer was to include transport from Uyuni to the border, and then from the border to San Pedro de Atacama in Chile. Dinner, accommodation, and breakfast were also supposed to be included. It is important to have your Park Entrance ticket with you - get this from the driver of your Salar de Uyuni tour.

The transfer driver was lovely, but actually worked for a different travel agency than the one I paid my money to. The dinner was basic, the breakfast did not exist, and the bus transfer from the border to San Pedro de Atacama was not included, so I had to pay an extra 50Bs. Our driver also told us that the transfer should only cost 100Bs. I will contact Alessandro Adventure Tours to check if they know is actually included or not included. Other people simply arrive in Uyuni and visit an agency to organise a transfer. Try to get a better price and get a transfer ticket for the transport in Chile.

-------------------

The Travel Agency Details are:

16 Pje Los Pinos, Tupiza. Tel: (591) 26944752 Contact: Alejabdro Quispe aleadventure4x4@hotmail.com

7. Re: Salar de Uyuni???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 16, 2014