We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta del este or Julio Ignacio?

Which Punta del Este hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 2
Punta del este or Julio Ignacio?

My friend and I are chosing between PDE and Julio Ignacio. We're 35, single and women. Which would be a better area to stay in? We'll rent a car, so we can visit both.

Punta del Este...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Punta del Este
reviews: 17
1. Re: Punta del este or Julio Ignacio?

My wife says to tell you to choose Julio Iglesias (it's JOSE Ignacio). Just kidding . . . . Do you want to be in a really lovely, very small, isolated area with fantastic beaches populated by beautiful people, absolutely no nightlife, and only 4-5 restaurants within walking distance? That's Jose Ignacio, in high season (December 20 through maybe mid-February). Out of season, subtract the beautiful people and the retaurants, except for weekends. There are VERY few choices for lodging in Jose Ignacio (La Posada del Faro is about it, outside of renting a house for 10's of thousands of dollars.) If you want more restaurants, more variety, and nightlife, stay in Punta del Este. If Punta del Este is your choice, you then have to choose between Punta "proper" (the peninsula and surrounding area) and La Barra (8-10 miles toward Jose Ignacio from the peninsula). Again, if it's not in the high season, stay away from La Barra, as it depopulates almost as much as Jose Ignacio. By the way, distances are not small. The Punta area runs for 40 miles along the coast from Punta Ballena through Punta proper, through La Barra and Manantiales, across some empty territory, and all the way to Jose Ignacio. There are maps and photos at www.puntaweb.com.

San Francisco
reviews: 3
2. Re: Punta del este or Julio Ignacio?

I choose Julio

punta del este
3. Re: Punta del este or Julio Ignacio?

Try first Punta del Este, rent a car and visit JOSE Ignacio, then choose... both are nice and different, you wil have fun, for sure!

4. Re: Punta del este or Julio Ignacio?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, August 18, 2009