We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another post on car rentals

Which Punta del Este hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 94
Another post on car rentals

We're planning to spend 2 nights in Montevideo in March, then go to Punta del Este for 4 nights. The idea is that we would take a bus to PDE from Montevideo, then rent a car for 3 of the days that we're there. We'll then go back from PDE to Buenos Aires on Buquebus for 1 night before we fly home.

I know that we could rent a car in Montevideo and drive to PDE but we're a little apprehensive about that. I would find it much more comfortable to rent a car when we're actually there. I can find great rates at Budget, but their office is at the airport in Punta. I'm not sure how convenient that is in terms of pickup and drop off at the end of the 3 days. How far is the airport? Will we spent a lot in taxi fares to get there? If so, it might make more sense just to rent from an agency in the city, even if the rate is higher.

Any advice? Our trip isn't until March and car rentals are much cheaper at that time than they are now.

Thanks,

Susan

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 94
1. Re: Another post on car rentals

Just in case anyone does read this, I checked this morning and the cheap rates at Budget are not there anymore! So now Budget is about the same as the other agencies, so it doesn't seem like it's an issue anymore unfortunately. I'll keep checking but there are no more $16 / day rates - they're more like $35 and up.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 143
2. Re: Another post on car rentals

Thrifty has rates similar to Budget. But if you're not going till March, keep on checking Budget. I've had similar problems in the past but rates return to cheaper prices in a few weeks. I usually check first kayak.com for best rates, then go to the site that offers the lowest rates. Book as soon as you find a good rate (there's no deposit, no credit card, no prepayment, thus nothing to lose--you can always cancel if you find something cheaper with another rental company later.

SIlvia

3. Re: Another post on car rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, July 07, 2010