We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dress code for abu dhabi

Which Abu Dhabi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
manchester
reviews: 3
dress code for abu dhabi

Hi I am going with my husband to abu dhabi for a short break and I am concerned about what clothes to take. My usual summer wardrobe of vest tops, short summer dresses etc may not be suitable. For example if walking to the beach I would normally wear shorts and vest top / bikini underneath. What would be advisable? Also for eating out in restaurants - would a knee length dress be ok with a pashmina to cover up. I did here open toe shoes (flip flops/sandals etc) are frowned upon. Any ideas ??

Abu Dhabi, United...
reviews: 212
1. Re: dress code for abu dhabi

This is a subject of great debate so you may get some different answers. I know a lot of Muslims including locals and their definition of what is suitable clothing is definitely erring on the side of conservative but you don't have to wear an abaya and shayla - except if you are going to visit the Grand Mosque.

Unless you are staying really close to the beach you will need to alter slightly what you would normally wear. Shorts are really only suitable for ON the beach unless they are knee-length. Vest tops (or anything else that shows your armpits, cleavage or midriff) need another layer to cover up (a light cotton or linen shirt worn loose would work) or simply wear a T-shirt instead. Short sleeves are fine. Wearinig a bikini underneath is OK and the bikini is OK for on the beach. You need to dress to go to the beach cafes and not go in your bikiin. In restaurants what you are proposing to wear sounds fine - just about anything goes in hotels, but the pashmina is useful to ward off the fierce air conditioning. Also if you are travelling in a taxi you need to consider modest clothing to get to the hotel...

As for women's footwear, you will pleased to learn that you can wear anything. Flip flops and sandals are acceptable anywhere you go as a tourists/visitor. However, some places of work do not permit them and covered shoes are required.

Please read the link on the right of this page "What to wear in Abu Dhabi" for more advice.

ILME

2. Re: dress code for abu dhabi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 03, 2013