We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

be careful when planning a trip on etihad airlines

Which Abu Dhabi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
portland, oregon
reviews: 1
be careful when planning a trip on etihad airlines

Be careful when planning to fly on etihad airlines. before purchasing your ticket they will tell you one thing about your baggage allowance and after it is another story. I had to fly from sydney, australia to abu dhabi , uae. I called etihad, because i knew i would have issues with the amount of baggage , and was told my allowance would be 2 bags each 20 kg, and overage was A$10 per kilo. So I bougnt my ticket. A week before flying I called to verify this, and lo and behold, now was told that the allowance was a total of 20 kgs, and overage was A$35 a kilo. Quite a difference. So I had to cancel my ticket and buy a new one on Emirates. There was a hold back of US$330.00 and I complained to etihad about it, but all I got was a lot of run around, and no acceptance on their part that it was the fault of one of their employees for this situation, so finally I have lodged a complaint with amex, the card I used to buy the ticket and should get the money back. All I got from Etihad was a lot of run around and nonsese, so I have no choice to make this posting. So be careful in dealing with them!!!! peter singer

18 replies to this topic
byleet
reviews: 3
11. Re: be careful when planning a trip on etihad airlines

how about this ! my baggage was delayed and I had to leave heathrow without it . it arrived 2 days later with items missing . Etihad then said that they would not entertain my claim for the stolen items because I did not report them as missing when I reported the baggage was delayed (ie . how could I have known if I did not have by baggage) . numerous emails followed and responses from Etihad were usually in pigeon English . I just gave up ! good in flight but customer service dept is the worst ever !

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 12
12. Re: be careful when planning a trip on etihad airlines

Theft of luggage or theft of items out of the luggage is sadly common. Therefore you should have never put valuables in your checked luggage.

Airlines warn you about carrying valuable items in your hold luggage. In the case of Etihad this is written in Article 8.3.4 of the Conditions of Carriage: "You must not include in Checked Baggage money, jewellery, precious metals..... or other valuable items"

For details see: etihad.com/en/legal/conditions-of-carriage/

Your luggage goes through so many stations and hands that it is not possible to make an airline responsible for items they do not even know are in there.

In most airports you can wrap your luggage. This reduces the risk of theft, as tempering demands more time and is visible.

You can still try to claim the theft from an insurance. However, if you have no proper documentation it will be difficult to prove that something has been stolen.

Batumi, Georgia
reviews: 4
13. Re: be careful when planning a trip on etihad airlines

Your baggage left Heathrow where your items were more likely stolen than by the Etihad. They don't call the airport Thief-Row for no reason. Gat-Nick is another.

C_B in Tbilisi, Georgia

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
reviews: 3
14. Re: be careful when planning a trip on etihad airlines

For a number of airlines operating from the Middle East, the staff on the phone would likely comprise people from Arab countries, or one of the Asian countries; whether or not the call is answered by a call center. Unless one is quite used to such accents, it is possible to mistake what they say on the phone. Better to go with the written stuff on the website or with the ticket.

Doncaster, United...
reviews: 32
15. Re: be careful when planning a trip on etihad airlines

Having traveled with Etihad from the Uk to Australia and return, I would say the flights were first class.The staff on all the flights were excellent.

Due to an error at Abu Dhabi, I had to make a complaint to the customer services department. They are very poor and clearly do not understand what customer services is all about. I will not bore you with details but it took many, many emails, a visit to an office, more emails and phone calls and still it has not been resolved.

I know that staff look at their FACEBOOK account and will try to help if you post there but sadly, the customer services is letting this airline down and shows no sign of improving, in my opinion.

London, United...
reviews: 5
16. Re: be careful when planning a trip on etihad airlines

Two years on, and they haven't yet grasped the concept of customer service...

BEWARE OF FLYING WITH ETIHAD AIRLINES

Be warned about the very poor attitude to customer services from Etihad Airlines. Myself and my wife are members of their ‘GUEST’ program, and this summer booked return business class tickets to the Seychelles; flying with Etihad from London Heathrow to Abu Dhabi, then with Air Seychelles from Abu Dhabi to Mahe.

Etihad failed to transfer our luggage in Abu Dhabi, resulting in us having no appropriate clothing or personal belongings for nearly 2 days out of a 7 night stay.

Air Seychelles were extremely helpful, but in turn received no support from Etihad.

I made an official complaint and a claim for compensation to Etihad while we were on holiday and have followed this up with numerous emails since our return at the end of July. I have also provided them with all of the documents they have required to process this claim.

To date I have not even received the courtesy of an explanation of where we are in the process and what happens next. There is no-one prepared to talk on the telephone, and the ‘GUEST’ membership or flying Business Class apparently counts for nothing.

I will certainly not be flying with Etihad out of choice in the future, and would advise anyone planning to travel on routes that they service to take time to look for more suitable alternatives.

I also have to comment that since looking for on-line sites on which to make my appalling experience publicly available it is clear that I am far from alone in my dissatisfaction with Etihad’s level of customer service

London, United...
17. Re: be careful when planning a trip on etihad airlines

Hi does anyone know which are the best seat/s to pick when flting Etihad Airlines 332 AIRBUS INDUSTRIE JET Jet?? Thank you

Manchester
reviews: 18
18. Re: be careful when planning a trip on etihad airlines

Tiana12 thanks for the Facebook tip...I am always emailing them about one thing or another,as I use them economy twice a year....they either don't or take ages to reply...I have a problem with my next flight....the reservations office were rubbish,the website won't let me amend 1 flight,so I used the Facebook page..within 10 m ins I had a response...forget phone and emails Facebook is the way forward with Etihad!!!

Reply to: be careful when planning a trip on etihad airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted