We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible Relocation - lots of questions

Which Abu Dhabi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
reviews: 2
Possible Relocation - lots of questions

There are tentative plans to relocate to AD for at least 2 years. We will know on Monday if this will happen.

I am wondering what things you can not get in AD that you can get in the US.

What things do you miss most? i.e. I am a hopeless chocoholic and absolutely must have my coffee in the morning... I am thinking of things we take for granted at home.

I know housing is provided, but we need to pay for food.

Do most people lease or purchase a vehicle?

What about motorcycles? (all summer long this has been a favorite pass time for me and my husband.) Is it safe to assume we could ship the bike over with no problems?

What things do you know now that you wish you would have known before relocating?

Lori

Abu Dhabi, United...
reviews: 212
1. Re: Possible Relocation - lots of questions

Chocolate and coffee is on sale here - no problem.

We have western food in all the supermarkets, but not all brands.

Summer is far too hot for motorcycling, but would be an option for the winter (although bear in mind the roads are very dangerous here). You can buy some brands here including Harley and BMW. You will have to check with the authorities if you want to ship a bike here (probably not worth it).

Most people buy a car but leasing is a relatively hassle-free option.

I am from the UK and only chose to relocate here after coming temporarily, but I wish I had known before I came how 'normal' this city is to live in :)

Abu Dhabi, United...
reviews: 5
2. Re: Possible Relocation - lots of questions

In my opinion living here is like living in London but with wall to wall sunshine. We can get 99% of things we got in the UK, okay it may take a few trips to different supermarkets to get them but that's no big problem. My Husband works for one of the large hypermarket chains and has made sure that he has imported lots of different foods/goods from UK/US/Australia/SA etc.

You're very lucky that accomodation is provided for you - most of us get an allowance and have to find our own places - which in the present market is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Of course you will have to pay for food - a weekly shop costs about the same as it does back home.

My Husband sold his motorbike before coming out here - it was a really hard decision for him but the roads are dangerous, its far too hot in the summer to ride plus (as my Husband says) all the roads are too flat, too straight and too boring for fun riding.

Most of the people we know have bought cars/4x4s as they are relatively cheap to buy and much cheaper to run.

We came out to have a look before Husband signed his contract so we had a pretty good idea of what we were coming to. One thing I wished I had known before - patience when trying to get residence visas/driving licences/alcohol licences etc - things are done at a much slower pace here and can be very frustrating at times.

That said - I wish we had made the move years ago!

3. Re: Possible Relocation - lots of questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, October 14, 2009