We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewish Family in Abu Dhabi?

Which Abu Dhabi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Jewish Family in Abu Dhabi?

My wife and I live with our three young daughters (all under age 5) in Florida. I have been offered a truly amazing job in Abu Dhabi, beginning this fall. Incredible opportunity, 2 year commitment and terrific compensation/expat package.

The hitch is that we are Jewish and, although we are not especially active in our religious practices (we're reform Jews, not orthodox or conservative), we have serious concerns about our safety, as well as about our general comfort level living in a largely Muslim country. My wife, who has not yet been to the UAE (I've been a few times now), is terrified at the thought of this move and what her day-to-day existence (and that of our daughters) will be like. Does anyone have thoughts about whether our young Jewish family will feel comfortable/safe/welcome/happy moving to Abu Dhabi? Are there other young Jewish families living there? Thanks in advance for any guidance....

Abu Dhabi, United...
reviews: 5
11. Re: Jewish Family in Abu Dhabi?

I know a friend coming from chicago to abudhabi who had some tel aviv entry stamps on the american passport.They were let off at the airport arrival immigration after detaining them for 1 hour..it could be a problem.better check at UAE embassy at your origin.

Abu Dhabi, United...
reviews: 212
12. Re: Jewish Family in Abu Dhabi?

I believe UAE immigration would not let anyone in with Israeli stamps in their passport. Friends of mine used to work in Israel and got a new passport issued before coming to UAE.

Abu Dhabi, United...
13. Re: Jewish Family in Abu Dhabi?

I think, u r right.Not only UAE, but the complete GCC would do that.

Abu Dhabi, United...
14. Re: Jewish Family in Abu Dhabi?

Yes, you will not be able to enter the UAE with any Israeli stamps in your passport.

Abu Dhabi
15. Re: Jewish Family in Abu Dhabi?

I am UAE citizen who has a lot of expat friends who live here in Abu Dhabi who some of are Jews. First let me tell you the facts not the speculations, people here in the UAE are not concerned about what ever religion one follows, but concerned about which political believes one support. For example if you are a Jew no one cares about your religious believe as long as you are not trying to preach them to others, but if you a Zionist my advise don't bother stepping foot in any Arab country as they and announcing that. The point is that the tension isn't with Jews or Judaism but it is with the Israeli politics and the Zionism movement. Simply the case is if you are not a Zionist nor Israeli then you will be fine here. The UAE is a very tolerant, safe and friendly country to live in.

Abu Dhabi, United...
16. Re: Jewish Family in Abu Dhabi?

pls check with the UAE embassy/consulate office nearest to you regarding the entry of jews to UAE

17. Re: Jewish Family in Abu Dhabi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 22, 2010