We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hr transit in Doha - ineligible for transit accommodation?

Which Doha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 7
8 hr transit in Doha - ineligible for transit accommodation?

I was looking at flying Qatar Airways Singapore - Montreal.

The return leg has a transit time of exactly 8 hours. When I asked about eligibility for transit accommodation, I was told that it wasn't eligible because the transit time did not exceed 8 hours. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Qatar
reviews: 36
1. Re: 8 hr transit in Doha - ineligible for transit accommodation?

Free accommodation is not provided for any stopover "eight hours or less". They have to draw the line and it is very unfortunate if your transit is exactly 8 hours!

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Qatar
2. Re: 8 hr transit in Doha - ineligible for transit accommodation?

If you have to therefore stay in the airport then pay to use the Oryx Lounge in the departure / transit terminal. At least you will have some comfort and peace and quiet. The entry fee includes as much food (buffet) and drink (includes alcohol but you have to ask for this, its not displayed) as you want.

Doha Airport is very, very small and has nothing to do other than a duty free shop and a couple of coffee shops, there isn't even a restaurant!

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 7
3. Re: 8 hr transit in Doha - ineligible for transit accommodation?

Thank you for your advice! It'll be my first time at DOH. Figured the lounge was probably the best option especially if the flight arrives late.

Qatar
4. Re: 8 hr transit in Doha - ineligible for transit accommodation?

If you're ineligible for the Qatar Airways paid accommodation, that doesn't mean you can't book a hotel on your own. There are a few hotels right by the airport, which will be much more comfortable than sitting in a crowded lounge for 8hrs. Singaporeans can get a visa on arrival for (I think) QR100. These nationalities are also eligible for visa on arrival: dohaairport.com/en/…visa_regulations.html

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Qatar
5. Re: 8 hr transit in Doha - ineligible for transit accommodation?

Singapore passport holder can get visa on arrival.

Problem is (in my opinion) by the time you have landed, got through immigration and moved to a hotel, checked in etc then that is going to be 1 - 1.5 hours. You will need to get back at the airport in time to check in through passport control so allow another 1.5 hours. You now have maximum 5 hours in the hotel. Is it worth it? This is also assuming that your flight lands on time!

6. Re: 8 hr transit in Doha - ineligible for transit accommodation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 04, 2014