We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night at Doha and Visa

Which Doha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
reviews: 180
One night at Doha and Visa

Hello,

I am traveling to Asia from Montreal and one of the options is to have a (night) stop over in Doha, on the way back but maybe on the way there. However I have read that it does take a visa and Qatar Airways charges something like $150 (or Euro) per person per night for the package Visa+ Hotel.

Is there an easier/cheper option to get a Visa? Any possibility to get a hotel directly at the Airport without having to get a Visa? And how much would a Visa cost if we want to do Visa and Hotel separately

Any help is much appreciated. I need to book tickets and it depends on this.

Thanks

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
reviews: 8
1. Re: One night at Doha and Visa

You can buy your visa on arrival at Doha (about 30 CAD). Book your own hotel in any fashion

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Qatar
reviews: 36
2. Re: One night at Doha and Visa

This topic arises very often as it at first does seem confusing.

Certain nationalities can get visa on arrival - Canada is included - so you just go to immigration, present your passport and pay QR100 with a credit or debit card (they are not allowed to take cash). Using this option you can book any hotel that you want.

Others who cannot get VOA can make use of a package offered by Qatar Airways which costs $125 and includes entry visa and hotel. They then act as your sponsor and arrange the paperwork needed.

Hope that this clarifies?

Montreal, Canada
3. Re: One night at Doha and Visa

Thank you guys, very clear.

Any hotels near the Airport. If not, how far is the Doha city center (where I guess most of the hotels are) from the Airport

Thanks

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Qatar
reviews: 36
4. Re: One night at Doha and Visa

There isn't a hotel actually within the confines of the airport so you have to leave and enter the city. Next to the departure terminal is the Oryx Rotana (owned by Qatar Airways) which is very good but not cheap!

It would really depend on what you want to do and your budget? Doha is a very small place so most hotels are close to the airport.

For example do you just want a bed for the night, do you some luxury, beach location, alcohol served in the hotel? All these (and more) will determine what would be best suited.

Montreal, Canada
5. Re: One night at Doha and Visa

actually for the way back I probably want just a bed to crash. I usually do mid range+ (3-4 stars) type of hotel for the "just to crash" occasion. On the way there I suspect I would do the same, but maybe walking around a bit to the restaurant etc to see some of the city

I do have early departures in both cases (8:30 and 8:55 AM). Given the commute and the immigration, at what time should I leave the hotel? On both cases it will be a Sunday morning

Thanks!

6. Re: One night at Doha and Visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, May 31, 2014