We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Villa Muscat

London
reviews: 2
Holiday Villa Muscat

I'm planning a first trip to Oman next February, and have found it hard to choose a hotel that meets all my criteria:

- not too expensive, but good quality

- near beach

- nice pool

I've come across the Holiday Villa Muscat in Qurum Heights - does anybody know of it? It seems pretty good value, and near the beach.

Any comments would be much appreciated!

Muscat
1. Re: Holiday Villa Muscat

I live round the corner from the hotel. Never been inside, ,but looks decent enough. It's about two minutes walk to a beach. Dont know if it has a pool. I imagine it would be cheaper than others in the area. If your not looking for 5/4 star luxury but a decent place, and if you'll be doing alot of exploring/beach than I'd say its a good place.

reviews: 9
2. Re: Holiday Villa Muscat

They are a bit old. Try Best Western or Oman beach hotel, you can email the latter on beachhtl@gto.net.om

Coningsby, United...
3. Re: Holiday Villa Muscat

Depends how long you're coming out for and if you want to stay in Muscat or are willing to be further afield, Al Sawadi Beach Resort is good and is a good price (alsawadibeach.com). The Best Western - service is rubbish, rooms are very small I wouldn't stay there again. Slightly more upmarket you could try the Crowne Plaza, the seaview rooms are excellent it also has a good bar, resteraunts and swimming pool, also the Intercon does some good deals, it has good rooms, excellent pool facilities, a good bar and restaurants and excellent service, it is also right on the beach.

Emden
4. Re: Holiday Villa Muscat

I would recommend the Holiday Villa any time. The hotel is situated in very beautiful area (inside a wadi) In the evenig you can sit under the trees- while having a glass of tea or arabic coffee, you can watch green parots flying all around.

The beach and the fishermens are reachable in a two minute walking distance.

The hotel has a typical arabic interior, the rooms are comfortable and nice ( 4* ). The pool is inside a inner courtyard, for sun tanning it will be better to go to the beach.

London
5. Re: Holiday Villa Muscat

Thanks for the comments - I have decided to go ahead and book the Holiday Villa - their room rate for a twin room with 2 breakfasts for Feb 2006 is RO35.00 per night inclusive of taxes. I'll post some comments when I've stayed there myself.

I'm looking forward to the green parrots.......

London
6. Re: Holiday Villa Muscat

Just returned from an excellent holiday in Muscat. Holiday Villa fine - I'll post a review soon. A bargain at OMR35 per night (for 2 with breakfast).

A few tips - HIRE A CAR! We had a car at the airport (OMR74 per week with Thrifty) and used it all the time. Essential for getting the best out of Muscat. A book called "Oman Explorer" proved invaluable for research as well as navigation (has excellent detailed maps). Can be ordered through Amazon.

Highlights: Dolphin trip from Marina Bander Al-Rowdha (saw a whale leap out of the water less than 50yds from the boat, plus dolphins and turtles), finding our own private beaches (go to Bander Jissah beach and ask the taxi boats to take you for a couple of rials), day trip to Nizwa, Mutrah souk in the evening, Kargeen Cafe, I coould go on and on. Just get out of your hotel and explore - it is a real shame not to.

Main beach at Q'urm (that runs all the way to the airport and beyond) is really not that nice compared to the beaches further south (from the Al Bustan and beyond). They are amazing here (Oman Dive Club has a nice beach you can use for OMR1 per day - Al Bustan Palace no longer accepts non-residents).

Oman was just my kind of place - the people are great (initially slightly reserved, but wonderfully genuine and hospitable once you get talking, and rightly proud of their country),beaches supurb, and loads of interesting sights and activities. A week was not enough to do the Muscat area justice.

Will happily respond to any questions anyone may have.

UK
reviews: 5
7. Re: Holiday Villa Muscat

Hi HJFe

Many thanks for that report - it was exactly what we are looking for. We were beginning to think that everyone went and sat on a beach all day.

You hired a car, did you go to the mountains above Nizwa - Grand Canyon?

Did you go to Tiwi by car or would you need a 4WD?

Nice to hear about a restaurant, had already seen Kargeen in the Oman Explorer book. Initially we thought some restaurants expensive and when we contacted the guide book, they casually said that some had been priced in Dirhams! When we queried that - we were told that if the price seemed silly then it was probably Dirhams. Which we found somewhat unhelpful.

Naneek's report of Shangri-La mentioned being bitten by insects. Did you experience this - just want to be prepared.

You said you could go on, please feel free as far as we are concerned, only two weeks to wait for us. Any advice appreciated.

London
8. Re: Holiday Villa Muscat

Midgy

We had no experience whatever of insect bites - I think you would have to be unlucky. No need for insect repellent.

We didn't go beyond Nizwa, so cannot comment on the road situation. All the roads we used however were like billiard tables. We ran out of time before going to all the places we wanted to, but know you can drive down to Yitti (using the road that goes south out of Ruwi) in a normal saloon. I would imagine you will know when it is time to turn back if you go off the tarred roads.

Other restaurants we enjoyed - Dive Club Centre restaurant (good seafood), Mumtaz Mahal (very good Indian, great views), O Sole Mio (v. good Italian food, but nowhere to sit outide), D'Arcy's Kitchen (cheap and cheerful, but great food), and if you like sushi, Thursday night is sushi night at the Sheraton Qurm Resort (near D'Arcy's Kitchen). Great sushi, and an all-you-can-eat buffet (we ate a lot!). Kargeen Cafe best for Arabian atmosphere. Shwarma stalls and juice bars in Mutrah also a great experience (and no tummy trouble).

Weather was abslutely perfect - have a great time. I'm very jealous (but already planning our return next year - possibly to Salalah).

HFE

London
9. Re: Holiday Villa Muscat

By the way, all the "western-stlye" restaurants had prices similar to what you would expect to pay in the UK. Ignore the prices in Oman Explorer (or just knock a "0" off the ones that seen silly).

We normally spent about OMR20 for two each evening (but often stuck to fresh juices rather than wine). We were on a bit of a health kick that has since collapsed.

UK
reviews: 5
10. Re: Holiday Villa Muscat

Hi HJFe

Many thanks again for the helpful comments. We leave for Muscat on 6th March, there until 20th and now looking forward to it, especially when my wife read that you did not have insect bites!

Get answers to your questions about Muscat Governorate