We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

Sint-Niklaas...
reviews: 2
To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

Hi guys.

I am looking to visit Iran on a short 8-day trip, together with my father. I am a travel agent, so i know the big outlines of this country but i am still struggling to decide whether to include Tehran in our visit.

I have flights set up with Turkish going to Shiraz. After that we could visit Shiraz, Perspolis, Yazd and Isfahan.

The end is not so clear as i can not decide whether to return to Shiraz and fly out or go from Isfahan via Qom tot Tehran and have a quick visit of things there.... Maybe just fly out of IKA and avoid town. We would only arrive there afternoon on day 7 and have a flight back home from IKA on day 8, around 1500. Any advice on how to fill that afternoon day 7 and morning day 8?

Hopefully you can all give me some good advice.

Kind regards and thanks.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
reviews: 296
11. Re: To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

Zenab_37,

I assure you it's totally safe for the three of you, especially with the guide. I was travelling on my own (solo female), and with no guides at all, and felt absolutely fine.

Dress respectfully, stay street smart as you would in any unknown country, and just enjoy your trip!

Sint-Niklaas...
12. Re: To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

Oh, just checking, might be that you used a local agent for a tour with driver: that is what we intend to do ;)

Auf wiederhören ;)

Basque Country
reviews: 50
13. Re: To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

Sorry, I meant "beautiful PARKS".

Basque Country
reviews: 50
14. Re: To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

Oh, and forget about guides as the country is very easily explored as an independent traveller. My girlfriend and I never thought about using a guide's services, and we had a superb time.

Berlin, Germany
15. Re: To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

Hey, ik zou je echt aanraden om dat niet te doen. Het zal veel kosten, het is nergens voor nodig om te kunnen en het is een groot gemis als je je met een tour afschermt van de lokale bevolking die enorm vriendelijk is en waarmee je leuke contacten maakt als je zelfstandig reist. Uiteindelijk is het je eigen keus, maar ik zou het nooit doen.

Berlin, Germany
16. Re: To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

Iran is safer than the average European country. Any guidebook or person that has travelled through Iran will confirm that. It's strange how some people think about the country and I would really encourage people to read something about their destination to prevent such misconceptions.

Sint-Niklaas...
17. Re: To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

Thanks all for the hints. I have now decided to delay the trip to Easter 2014. I would have a better arrangement family wise.

I understand most of you are independant travelers and it would make things a little more typical but i have my own travel agency and i plan on creating some yearly group visits there so i need to meet up with some local correspondents. And of course, they want to show me the country. So might throw in a mix of solo travel and organised.

Have decides though, with only 8 travel days, i'm gonnan skip Tehran and focus on the three cities in central Iran: Isfaha, Yazd and Shiraz. I will be back in a few years as well so i will start with a lazy tour of Tehran then. THanks all; keep the tips coming though.

Sint-Niklaas...
18. Re: To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

And i know it is safe ;) Has nothing to do with me choosing a local agent ;) It's work related

kuwait
reviews: 5
19. Re: To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

As every one mentioned here. Museum of National Treasure is a MUST see. but make sure about the day and date. It only opens once a week 3 hours in morning. I guess its Tuesdays if I am not mistaken. the museum is in basement of Central Bank.

Edited: 8:40 am, March 21, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 8
20. Re: To Tehran or not to Tehran??? That is the question...

Not worth visiting tehran...

if you love museums maybe give it one day.... maybe