We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Bahrain

Which Manama hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow
reviews: 2
Driving in Bahrain

I am going to visit my daughter who has recently moved to Bahrain. I usually hire a car when I travel abroad. My daughter is not sure if this is a good idea. Is it easy to get lost as I have driven all over the world including Dubai, Italy, Mauritius and Greece.

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
1. Re: Driving in Bahrain

No worries, driving in Bahrain is mostly civil and safe. Take a little time to get familar with the major roads and you will be fine. Lots of ladies drive in Bahran and is quite safe.

Bahrain is basically a large circular road and all roads lead to Manama eventually. Ask any taxi driver how to get back onto the King Faisal Highway and you are back on track.

You may want to get a GPS if you are really keen :)

Qatar
reviews: 5
2. Re: Driving in Bahrain

Just wanted to point out that GPS is usually not available at hiring agencies unless the car is already equibbed with one (i.e. luxury ones)

Anyway the country is a bit tiny and driving is safe. So go for it :)

Glasgow
reviews: 2
3. Re: Driving in Bahrain

Thank-you both for replying. After my short visit two weeks ago, I used taxis, however I am going back out next month and will hire a car this time as I would like to see a bit more of the Kingdom. It really is a lovely place and everyone is so friendly and helpful. Thanks again!

Germany
4. Re: Driving in Bahrain

Hello! I read your posts about driving in Bahrain and I now feel encouraged to try that rather than getting around by bus or taxi. I have 2 questions, however: is there a special international drivers licence required or will my national one (Germany) be sufficient? Are there any tolls or fees for using roads?

Thanks for your help! Conny

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
5. Re: Driving in Bahrain

They accept most Western Driving Licenses - and normally an International Driving License is not required.

6. Re: Driving in Bahrain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, September 20, 2009