We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self drive vs. tours

Which Amman hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
5 posts
50 reviews
Self drive vs. tours

My husband and I will be in Jordan for a week in March. We tend to shy away from tours and like to be able to stop when we want to. Rental for a car for a week is pretty reasonable from what I can see and I'm leaning towards the self drive option even if we don't use the car on the days we're in Petra. I'd love to hear from travelers who have rented a car and from those who hired a driver. Thanks!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
5,682 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: Self drive vs. tours

I am not a travelers at present .I was once before i took up this tourists industry for a pass time in my retirement.

Rent a car and self drive can be cheaper than hiring a car and driver.

Car and driver advantage is provide your driver is honest and trustworthy with local knowledge he directs you to the right place and protect you from profiteering.and of course can be a nice company to be with .interesting stories and learn about the local culture.

a car driver per day average cost 70 jod/day all expenses paid

A rent a car and self drive with GPS around 35 jod/day. plus petrol cost.

if you have any other question please dnt hesitate to contact me

cheers

Raymond

Amman Pasha Hotel

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
5 posts
50 reviews
2. Re: Self drive vs. tours

Thank you, Raymond. When visiting places we may hire a local guide, but while on the road we like to be able to stop and enjoy the sights along the way. A GPS is a good idea! Once I figure out our itinerary I will probably be in touch with you as your hotel looks like something we would enjoy while in Amman.

3. Re: Self drive vs. tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:53 pm, February 11, 2014
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
139 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: Self drive vs. tours

We rented a car and GPS for our trip last October. Had a great time and the driving was relatively easy...even after our GPS stopped working. One thing to consider if you are starting in Amman, have your rental car delivered to your hotel the day you are leaving Amman and ask them to drive you outside of the city. It cost us an extra 5 JOD but very much worthwhile as driving in the city of Amman is quite an experience.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
5 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: Self drive vs. tours

Thank you! We are driving from the airport straight to Petra, so that should be easy. We end the trip in Amman and will allow plenty of time to get out of town and to the airport!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
5 posts
50 reviews
6. Re: Self drive vs. tours

I've already made a reservation, but will keep your company in mind next time. Thanks!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
5 posts
50 reviews
7. Re: Self drive vs. tours

Raymond, we are booked at your hotel for the final two nights of our stay. I hope to see you then!

Rebecca

8. Re: Self drive vs. tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, April 12, 2015
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
5,682 posts
33 reviews
9. Re: Self drive vs. tours

Rebecca

Welcome to Jordan and a special welcome to Amman Pasha Hotel..You will see me cos I live at the hotel I am on 24 hours duty.to serve my customers.

We look forward to meeting you

Have great time in Jordan inshallah

Raymond and crew

London
Level Contributor
84 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: Self drive vs. tours

I have done two self drive holidays in Jordan. Driving outside Amman in very easy. Roads are well sign-posted etc, Amman is more difficult. I had no problems getting out of the city, but finding my hotel at the end was hard work. You'll have no need of a car while you're in Petra - either stay within walking distance or use hotel shuttle/taxi. There are also 4x4 tours of Wadi Rum from the tourist office there.