We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi or sherut from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 135
Taxi or sherut from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

OK, it is true that my next trip is not until May 2008, so I have a little time to plan. :-) But I question occurred to me on this quiet , rainy Christmas morning in Cincinnati that I thought I would ask now while it's in my mind.

I learned on my last trip in October that having a rental car in Tel Aviv is a pointless hassle. I never use it in the city, and trying to make my way from the Ayalon to the Metropolitan Hotel at night proved to be a REAL mess. What is with intersection signs in Israel where you can't tell the name of the cross street until after you have already passed it because it is hidden behind the street sign for the street you are on? I usually know the street I'm on -- it's the cross street I want to read! Grrrrrrrrrr.

So on my next trip, I will not pick up the rental car until I'm ready to leave Tel Aviv for the north, then I'll drop it off when arriving in Jerusalem. That means that I will have to take a cab or sherut from Ben Gurion Airport into Tel Aviv. Two questions:

(1) If I take a sherut (I will be travelling with a friend), do the sheruts to Tel Aviv stop at the individual hotels or just at the Central Bus Station? What would be the expected cost?

(2) If I take a cab, should we expect to have a fixed price quoted (and if so, what is the standard)? Or should we ask for the meter, as I know to do within the cities?

Thanks for your help!

Douglas Duckett

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 37
1. Re: Taxi or sherut from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

I don't know about the sherut, but I came back from Ben-Gurion on December 5th 2006 by taxi. The price is fixed. The cost during the night is a bit higher. I paid at 0500 the night cost. It was about 120 shekel+3 shekel per stuitcase+5 shekel airport tax. The price is authorize by the Transport Ministry. I wrote here about it when I came back. It included the cost of taxi to Tel aviv and to Jerusalem. 120 shekel for a taxi directly to the hotel, shared by 2 seems reasonable.

israel
Destination Expert
2. Re: Taxi or sherut from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

I came back this morning from the Airport at 0530 AM. The price for a taxi is at this hout (higher because it was still night fare) 112 shekel + 5 shekel airport tax + 3 shekel for each suitcase. During day time the basic price is lower. So one an expect to pay 20-25$ for a taxi.

I asked about Jerusalem of course. The basic night fare is 212, day time is 188 shekel (not sure) plus the tax and suitcases.

These are official fare by the ministry of transport.

As fot Tel Aviv, If one takes the train and later a taxi he won't save much money, but it will take much longer and less comfortable. The price for the train id 12 shekel, taxi will be 25-30, total in $ will be about 10.

The train is great to travel to beyond Tel Aviv, like Haifa. For Jerusalem one has taxi or Sherut.

To get to the airoprt from Tel Aviv - I took a taxi, it was at 0600 AM and it was 95 shekel. I used Moniot Azrielli (never used them before) phone number 03-6081333

This is my previous post. Better.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
3. Re: Taxi or sherut from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

Toda, and welcome back, Shoshi! Where were you flying in from?

Douglas Duckett

reviews: 30
4. Re: Taxi or sherut from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

To my recollection - and the airport's website seems to confirm that - there is no sherut service to Tel Aviv, only to Haifa and Jerusalem.

israel
Destination Expert
5. Re: Taxi or sherut from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

I was in London for a week, went to a professional conference and met Abigail. She, my husband and me had a lovely evening at an Indian restaurant.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
6. Re: Taxi or sherut from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

You know, Anon, I had heard that. And that truly makes no sense, I might add. But I'd probably do a private cab in any event -- we will be coming off of a 13½ hour flight following another flight within the US and the layover and security -- and I will want to go directly to our hotel, not to a circuit. But thanks for the heads-up.

But why would there be no sherut service to Tel Aviv? Is it the sense that the train replaced the need for that?

Douglas Duckett

7. Re: Taxi or sherut from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

I think so. I suppose the distance is short, the options are many so there's no market for a sherut.

If you have the phone number of a Tel Aviv taxi driver you trust (maybe your TA contacts, like Aeyal, might help) , you might try and contact him in advance. Sometimes taxi drivers who are not Nesher-affiliated offer good prices - that's what we do from Jerusalem and it's usually well worth it.

israel
Destination Expert
8. Re: Taxi or sherut from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

The taxi service from the airport is only by the authoirized company. They won a tender and they pay some kind of rent to the government for that. They also collect the 5 shekel airport tax. When you go out of the aiirport there is a guard that collects a piece of paper that the dispacher of the taxis gives the passangers . This way they make sure that we use the winning company.

Anyway I think that the sum of 120 shekel for a taxi is not too much. and it can take 2-3 people.

9. Re: Taxi or sherut from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

Dear Shoshi,

there is absolutely nothing prohibiting a licensed taxi driver who doesn't belong to the companies who work from Ben Gurion to take drivers from Ben Gurion. If they do, they have to pay a fee (now it's five NIS) to the airport authority - actually, to the licensed taxi companies. It's part of the monopoly existing in Ben Gurion, but it doesn't and it can't in my humble opinion go further than that. You are definitely entitled to ask your preferred taxi driver to pick you up from the airport.

israel
Destination Expert
10. Re: Taxi or sherut from Ben Gurion to Tel Aviv

Well, I am not a lawyer so I can't tell. But if there was a tender מכרז for that service I suppose its theirs.