We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to Ayalon Institute Museum and Palmach Museum

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
reviews: 97
Transportation to Ayalon Institute Museum and Palmach Museum

We have a reservation for 4 people to tour the Palmach museum on a Friday at 11am and the Ayalon Institute on Saturday at 1pm. We will be staying on Hayarkon Street in Tel-Aviv. What is the best method of transportation to get to each of these? We will not have a car.

I am thinking that, at least for the Ayalon Institute, we will likely need to take a taxi. If that is right, about how much should the taxi cost? Would it be by meter or flat rate? Do I need to call a taxi for this trip, or just flag one down on the street? And for the return trip, how would I get a taxi back to Tel-Aviv?

Thank you.

11 replies to this topic
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
1. Re: Transportation to Ayalon Institute Museum and Palmach Museum

Too bad your visit to the Ayalon Institute is on a Saturday, when there is no public transport. It's no help to you to know that it's walkable from Rehovot station, when there are no trains on Saturdays! You would need to take a taxi. The official Transport Ministry taxi fare from Tel Aviv to Rehovot is 137 shekels on Saturdays. There would be a small additional charge for the third and fourth passengers. The meter is compulsory only for rides within cities. For returning to Tel Aviv, you could ask the Ayalon Institute staff whether you should just go out and grab a taxi or whether they should call one for you.

I would also suggest that, rather than trying to go by bus, that you take a taxi to the Palmach Museum. There is no one bus that goes all the way. For this one, since it's within Tel Aviv, you should definitely ask the driver to use the meter.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 40
2. Re: Transportation to Ayalon Institute Museum and Palmach Museum

Is the Palmach Museum open on Shabbat? If so, perhaos you could swap the dates of your visits to each of these attractions. As Shuffaluff said, the Ayalon Institute is an easy walk from the Rehovot train station. And it's pretty easy to get everywhere in Tel Aviv by cab on Shabbat.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
3. Re: Transportation to Ayalon Institute Museum and Palmach Museum

I just had a look at the Palmach Museum website, and it is closed on Shabbat. Too bad, because that would have been a good solution.

USA
4. Re: Transportation to Ayalon Institute Museum and Palmach Museum

The Palmach reservation seemed to be hard to get, on that Friday. I emailed them 11 months before our visit, and they had only one time available on Friday, which I believe is 11 am. I guess I could try to change the Ayalon institute visit to Friday too, if they have availability, but with 11am Palmach visit at 11am I am not sure there is another time on Friday that would work for the Ayalon Institute.

This Ayalon Institute visit will be an expensive venture, with r/t taxi. To be honest, I would skip it and just walk around Tel Aviv or go to the beach. But wife calls the shots...

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
reviews: 93
5. Re: Transportation to Ayalon Institute Museum and Palmach Museum

There is a saying....Happy wife, happy life. Both sites are well worth seeing. I am sure you will find the Ayalon Institute very interesting and it is a 'real' place, not just a collection of artifacts.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 101
6. Re: Transportation to Ayalon Institute Museum and Palmach Museum

Regarding the Palmach museum, as a military museum (Ministry of Defense) it is closed on Shabbat. Do not change your appointment to the Ayalon Institute to Friday. It will be virtually impossible to make both museums on that short day via public transportation. In fact driving in your own car is very iffy on Friday, and extremely time consuming the rest of the week. I agree that taking a taxi to both sites and back will be your best option.

Chana

Israel

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
reviews: 11
7. Re: Transportation to Ayalon Institute Museum and Palmach Museum

Hayarkon is a very long street . Which hotel are you staying at ? There may be a bus to the Palmach Museum.

The fixed rate for a taxi from Tel-Aviv to Rehovot on Saturday is 141 NIS, so the tour of the Ayalon Institute will be very expensive ! Why don't you go on the free Bauhaus walking tour in Tel-Aviv at 11 AM instead ?

visit-tel-aviv.com/….UuicZhD8JMw

USA
8. Re: Transportation to Ayalon Institute Museum and Palmach Museum

We did the Bauhaus tour in Tel Aviv last time we were there. It was very worthwhile. Not sure I am going to be able to talk my wife out of the Ayalon institute. Is there really no other transport to Rehovot on a Saturday? No bus or sherut?

I guess I could consider keeping our rental car in Tel-Aviv, and dropping it at the airport when we depart. The hotel we are tentatively planning to stay at (Lusky Suites) has free parking, I believe, and when you add the cab to Rehovot and back and the cab to the airport and the trip to Palmach museum, I guess it could make economic sense -- though the driving in and out of and around Tel-Aviv would be an annoyance.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
reviews: 11
9. Re: Transportation to Ayalon Institute Museum and Palmach Museum

There isn't very much traffic on a Saturday morning so it will be an easy drive to Rehovot. Take Ayalon south through Bat Yam, get on Hwy 431, get off at the Rishonim exit (Highway 412), and drive south through Nes Ziona towards Rehovot

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 32
10. Re: Transportation to Ayalon Institute Museum and Palmach Museum

and no to answer your question - there are no other transportation options on Shabbat.

Reply to: Transportation to Ayalon Institute Museum and Palmach Museum
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted