We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some Qusetion for teaveling in Israel (Train, internet, $ )

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
HK
Some Qusetion for teaveling in Israel (Train, internet, $ )

Here is some question i wanna ask for my business trip on the next week

First, (Train)

im goanna work at Keisarya (Caesarea) Pardes Khana, but i have booked my hotel at tel aviv

i planned to travel there by train everyday morning at 7-8 , but how exactly the condition at there from Savidor - Center station ? will the train packed. if yes is that allowed to stand in the train ??

Second, (mobile internet)

my trip last for 10 days, i would like to have the mobile internet on my phone. is there any good recommendation? or is that any mobile wifi device for rent ?

Thrid, (Moneyyyyyyy)

Im traveling from HK, and so far as i know that there is no direct exchange from HKD to NIS,

so i prepared US Dollar for it, is there any place i can get a better rate for exchange?

And also im arriving at 3 at the morning, is there any money exchange station at the airport already open at that time ?

/ will the taxi at the airport accept US Dollar?

Finally, Just wanna ask is there any Travel information canter at Tel Aviv around Savidor - Center station, Because i just staying at Leonardo City Tower Hotel Tel Aviv.

Thank very much for helping

22 replies to this topic
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
11. Re: Some Qusetion for teaveling in Israel (Train, internet, $ )

Thanks-- I forgot about that thread, AND interesting re: the name of the station!

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Israel
12. Re: Some Qusetion for teaveling in Israel (Train, internet, $ )

>>interesting re: the name of the station!

Even more interesting, but not relevant to this thread: the station now called Kfar Saba - Nordau was originally to be called Hod Hasharon - Nordau but the name was changed before the station opened in 2003. After opening, station signs inconsistently referred (simultaneously) to Hod Hasharon - Kfar Saba and Kfar Saba - Hod Hasharon. In 2006 the station was renamed Hod Hasharon, and in 2010 it was renamed Kfar Saba - Nordau.

Now you've digested all that, Chapter 2 is that another station, Kfar Saba Merkaz, was opened in 2006, and in 2010 was renamed Hod Hasharon - Sokolow!

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
reviews: 35
13. Re: Some Qusetion for teaveling in Israel (Train, internet, $ )

Regarding reserved train tickets: in case it wasn't clear, you pay 5 NIS more and then you can sit in the "reserved" carriage, which is always the northernmost carriage on the train, so it is easy to find. This is a really good idea if it's a busy train (northbound trains can also be busy) as there can be no seating space at all on the rest of the train and plenty of space in the reserved carriage. It's also usually quieter. If you don't have a reserved ticket and find that the train is busy, you can actually pay the 5 NIS supplement on the train itself, with no extra charge. So if you can't find a place to sit, make your way north and pay for a reserved seat.

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Israel
14. Re: Some Qusetion for teaveling in Israel (Train, internet, $ )

Just to clarify in case you are "directionally challenged" - north is the FRONT carriage of the train when you are leaving Tel Aviv. But I doubt very much that the train will be full since you will be going in the opposite direction from most people.

At the risk of stating the obvious, make sure the train is stopping at Caesarea-Pardess Hanna before you get on. Not all trains stop there. Caesarea is pronounced "Kay-SAR-ya" in Hebrew, and you should use that pronunciation as otherwise you might not be understood.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
15. Re: Some Qusetion for teaveling in Israel (Train, internet, $ )

Shuffaluff--thanks for the trivia lesson!

AND making sure the train IS stopping is very important. Many of the trains heading north from Tel Aviv are express to Haifa. I am an experienced train rider--but last summer, being distracted and unfocused got on a train and was not happy to hear that the "TAchaana Haba-ah ( next station) after Tel Aviv University was Haifa!!! ( totally skipping Netanya and requiring me to go way north and then make my way back south)

HK
16. Re: Some Qusetion for teaveling in Israel (Train, internet, $ )

thank you all of you been helping me so much.

but here is few more question i wanna ask :

1) What the English level for the public in israel?

2) What time did the shop & restaurant usually close (week day & Weekend)

3) What the daily living price (let say , a proper lunch, travel, like a office worker )

4) what the the best local supermarket & 24/7 shop ?

once again , thank you so much for helping , and im amazed how quick and detail you guys reacted :)

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Israel
17. Re: Some Qusetion for teaveling in Israel (Train, internet, $ )

Most people speak at least some English. All traffic signs, station name boards, street names etc. are in English as well as Hebrew (and Arabic). There are no reports of visitors to Israel getting into serious communication difficulties! If the first person you ask for directions doesn't speak English, ask someone else. Younger people are more likely to know English than older people.

Shops are generally open until about 7 in the evening, but in big shopping malls they are open till 10. They close early on Fridays, around 1 or 2 p.m., and most of them are closed on Saturdays. Banks and post offices are closed on Saturdays. Many banks are also closed on Fridays. Sunday is a normal working day in Israel. Restaurants are open in the evenings, obviously, and usually till at least 10. Kosher restaurants are closed on Friday evenings and Saturdays (but they may open on Saturday night).

What do you mean by a "proper" lunch? A sit-down meal? Takeaway sandwiches? Most office workers either buy a sandwich for lunch or bring something from home. A takeaway sandwich and a drink would cost about 20 to 30 shekels.

You can see train fares on the Israel Railways website: www.rail.co.il. Bus fare from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem 18 shekels (one way). Local city bus about 6 shekels. If you are travelling from Tel Aviv to Caesarea-Pardess Hanna every day and back by train, ask for a "kartisiya" (multiple journey ticket), 12 rides for the price of 10. See here: rail.co.il/EN/…ParagraphTitle2

It's a "book" of tickets and you use a separate ticket for each journey.

There are supermarkets all over. There isn't any one "best". Some have a better range of foods, some are on average cheaper, but even the cheaper ones are not cheaper for everything. You don't need to drive yourself crazy running about looking for the cheapest of everything because on standard grocery items the price won't vary much, wherever you shop. As a general rule, a big supermarket is cheaper than a small corner grocery store, but the grocery store may be open longer hours.

Jerusalem, Israel
reviews: 22
18. Re: Some Qusetion for teaveling in Israel (Train, internet, $ )

I see some of the questions were already answered. i don't think u need to reserve a seat as you'll be going away from TLV as opposed to most people who would come towards TLV.

Regarding mobile internet, please check if you hotel has one for free. Otherwise you should rent a SIM card (please note all major Israeli cellular providers do not accept international credit cards). You could also rent a Mifi device which could work with tablets and iPads. There are a couple of companies that rent SIMs and devices by the day. I would recommend Amigo and Nes Mobile.

HK
19. Re: Some Qusetion for teaveling in Israel (Train, internet, $ )

Shuffaluff you r the best :)

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 6
20. Re: Some Qusetion for teaveling in Israel (Train, internet, $ )

Hi,

I will be arriving at Ben Gurion Airport at 10pm next Tuesday and I need to get to Armon Hayarkon at 268 Hayorkon Street Tel Aviv. Could you please adivise what is the best way to get there? Airport transfer seems quite expenseive at $100 per person. Thanks in advance.

Simon

Reply to: Some Qusetion for teaveling in Israel (Train, internet, $ )
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted