We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is everything closed in Tel Aviv tonight (7-April, 2013)

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Hartford...
reviews: 96
Why is everything closed in Tel Aviv tonight (7-April, 2013)

I couldn't find a single restaurant or store open this evening around 7pm in the Neve Tzedek area. I know that tomorrow (8-April) is a national holiday, but does anyone know why everything is shut down tonight?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 83
1. Re: Why is everything closed in Tel Aviv tonight (7-April, 2013)

Yes, it is Holocaust day and all restaurants and places of entertainment are closed this evening by law.Everything will reopen tomorrow as usual.

Other business like grocery stores will most likely also be closed.

Chana

Israel

Edited: 1:38 pm, April 07, 2013
West Hartford...
2. Re: Why is everything closed in Tel Aviv tonight (7-April, 2013)

<<Everything will reopen tomorrow as usual.>>

Chana - will restaurants and places of entertainment be open during the day tomorrow - or just after sundown?

This is turning out to be a "fasting" holiday!

thanks,

bert

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Israel
3. Re: Why is everything closed in Tel Aviv tonight (7-April, 2013)

Some grocery stores are likely to be open tomorrow.

Days in the Jewish calendar begin on the evening of the day before (so a day that is observed on Monday begins on Sunday at sundown, and ends when it gets dark on Monday). Everything will be open after dark tomorrow evening.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 34
4. Re: Why is everything closed in Tel Aviv tonight (7-April, 2013)

Grocery stores and kiosks should be open and the Tiv Taam in the City branches. There is on one 1 Ben Yehuda and another on 16 Dizengof (near Habima).

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Israel
5. Re: Why is everything closed in Tel Aviv tonight (7-April, 2013)

Too late to edit, to add (if you'll still be around next week): same again next Monday, starting Sunday evening and ending Monday evening, Remembrance Day for Fallen Soldiers, when again restaurants and places of entertainment will be closed.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 34
6. Re: Why is everything closed in Tel Aviv tonight (7-April, 2013)

Supermarkets, grocery stores, the Carmel market will be open tomorrow. Not on Independence Day. Restaurants will be open tomorrow and next week.

West Hartford...
7. Re: Why is everything closed in Tel Aviv tonight (7-April, 2013)

Under normal circumstances, if all restaurants were closed on a holiday, I'd consider getting "picnic" food at a grocery store and going to a beach or park to picnic. But, this being a Holocaust Memorial Day, would it be in bad taste to do that in a public place?

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Israel
8. Re: Why is everything closed in Tel Aviv tonight (7-April, 2013)

It is not a fast day. As long as you're not celebrating with balloons and dancing, there is no reason not to take a picnic to a park. It is a normal workday for most people, and many office workers will be taking their usual lunch sandwich to a park.

West Hartford...
9. Re: Why is everything closed in Tel Aviv tonight (7-April, 2013)

I'm confused.

<<Supermarkets, grocery stores, the Carmel market will be open tomorrow. Not on Independence Day. Restaurants will be open tomorrow and next week.>>

Does that mean Carmel Market will be open during the day tomorrow, or only after sundown?

Also, would it make sense to go to old Jaffa tomorrow (which was our original plan), given that nothing there will be open?

Thanks,

bert

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Israel
10. Re: Why is everything closed in Tel Aviv tonight (7-April, 2013)

Independence Day is a public holiday, when nearly all workplaces are closed. Obviously hospitals and the like are working, and public transport runs, but to a reduced schedule.Tourist sites, national parks, museums, etc. are open on Independence Day. Holocaust Remembrance Day is not a public holiday and everybody works as usual then. Shops and markets will be open all day, as normal, tomorrow.

There will be a siren sounded throughout the country at 10 a.m. tomorrow, when everything will come to a standstill. If you are in the street you'll see everyone stop, and stand silently for two minutes. Traffic stops, drivers get out of their cars and stand in the street.

To give you some idea of what it's like tomorrow: I work in an office. Every day at lunchtime I go out and buy a sandwich, and take it back to my office to eat, and chat to my work colleagues. If I wanted to, I could eat it in a park. I will do the same tomorrow. If I need to buy groceries during the day or after work, I will. I wouldn't buy clothes, for example, even if clothing shops are open (they probably are), because I feel THAT would be in bad taste, buying a nice new dress on Holocaust Remembrance Day. But there is no reason not to buy food. Restaurants (as opposed to pizzerias and the like) are considered to be places of entertainment, and are closed. Fast-food places and sandwich bars will be open tomorrow.

Edited: 2:27 pm, April 07, 2013