We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something restful to do (or place to be) before late flight?

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 30
Something restful to do (or place to be) before late flight?

I'll be flying in July from TLV to the US on a flight that leaves TLV at 11.30 pm. We will have checked out of our rental apartment at 10.00 am that day (no option to stay later--next set of guests are arriving that day) and I am trying to figure out how we can spend the day and evening. My husband and I could just do sightseeing, but we will have my 87 y.o. mother in law with us, who needs a wheelchair to go more than a block or two and tires easily. It would be great to find a hotel that would let us book a room just for the day, so that we could relax, but I have looked on TA and there don't seem to be hotels that offer "day rates." I've also looked for air-conditioned bus tours, but haven't yet found any that take less than 9-10 hours, which will be too much for my MIL. Any other ideas for an interesting but non-strenuous way to spend the day??

Sydney, Australia
1. Re: Something restful to do (or place to be) before late flight?

Tel Aviv is wonderful, I would recommend a beach day which is a nice peaceful way to spend your time. There is Mikes bar on the waterfront and they all speak English and it is open until late and then you could take a sherut or taxi to the train station for the train to the airport. You could take a walk through Jaffa and stop off at cafes and do a bit of last minute shopping. There are many museums and there is meant to be a really good art museum although I never made it there and there is a HUGE mall which is three stories but I'm not sure someone of 80 would enjoy their 'range'. Remember that Israel is small and if you didn't get to see everything you wanted in Jerusalem it's only an hour and a half away (you can get a sherut) also if you haven't been to Yod Vashem you must go, it's wheelchair accessible and there is transport the whole way there, from Jerusalem station you can get a tram (7NIS) and then there is a free bus to the museum. It is emotional but not physically tiring although it is maybe three hours of travelling it is worth it. Getting to the airport from Jerusalem is easy I do believe by train. Hope you find something to do.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
2. Re: Something restful to do (or place to be) before late flight?

Considering you will have all your luggage AND your mom isn't mobile you really do need a home base. Had you asked in advance I would have suggested you stay an extra day in the apartment. I would suggest that you look into an inexpensive hotel or hostel to check into for one day. This way you can not only have a place for mom to be comfortable BUT you will have a place to shower before leaving for the airport. ( and you WILL want to shower) Contact some of the less expensive hotels and see if they will allow 3 people to check into a room for the price of 2 ( since you are NOT going to be there for breakfast) They may be game. When in July are you leaving Israel--if is is before JUly 17 the hotels will probably have more vacancies.

BTW I find that I do not necessarily be rested before getting on that flight ( I ALWAYS fly late flights) It is easier to sleep if you are tired! ( and it helps pass the 12 very long hours that it takes to return to JFK or EWR

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
reviews: 9
3. Re: Something restful to do (or place to be) before late flight?

You could try booking a room for the day at an inexpensive but respectable hostel in the center of town, e.g:

http://www.hayarkon48.com/

You could dump your luggage there, spend the day in the city, then return for a shower before departure.

You have to arrive at the terminal 3 hrs in advance, i.e. at 8:30 PM, so book your taxi for 8 PM. Call Hadar Taxis at 03-971-1103: they are very reliable and have the cheapest rates (they have the airport franchise).

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Israel
4. Re: Something restful to do (or place to be) before late flight?

Amelia,

All your suggestions are absurd. The OP is looking for something RESTFUL in Tel Aviv with an 87-year-old lady, not rushing to Jerusalem, and to Yad Vashem (of all places! Restful??? While it's not physically running about, it's hardly restful by any stretch of the imagination).

>>Getting to the airport from Jerusalem is easy I do believe by train.<< Please check your facts before posting completely inaccurate information. It is virtually impossible to do this by train. There are no direct trains, the Jerusalem railway station is out in the wilds, and in addition trains are infrequent and slow.

Cocosun, it's not clear from your post whether you will be in Tel Aviv (the city) or Jerusalem before leaving for your flight.

5. Re: Something restful to do (or place to be) before late flight?

Thanks all for your suggestions so far. Shufalluff, we will be in Tel Aviv the day of our flight.

6. Re: Something restful to do (or place to be) before late flight?

One more question: does anyone know of a Tel Aviv hotel that has a nice pool/spa complex that is available to non-guests for a fee? A few hours under an umbrella by the pool plus a shower might be all we need to set us up for the long trip home.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
reviews: 9
7. Re: Something restful to do (or place to be) before late flight?

You could try the Gordon swimming located adjacent to the beach:

…yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2799509-gordon_swim…

www.gordon-pool.co.il/galleries/gallery.aspx…

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
reviews: 82
8. Re: Something restful to do (or place to be) before late flight?

I would recommend the Dan Panorama. Their pool complex does allow for non-guests. They provide towels and will have somewhere to store luggage. They have a large air-conditioned lobby on the second level which has a bar/coffeebar and pastries. It is across the street from a park so you could easily take a walk there to watch the sunset, even with a wheelchair. I think it would be a good idea to book a room for that day considering your mother's age, the heat that you can expect during the day, and the fact that you will have luggage with you.call the hotel and them what you need, they may be willing to make some arrangement at a discounted price.

9. Re: Something restful to do (or place to be) before late flight?

These are great suggestions, thanks! I am sure among them we will find a nice place to hang out. Thanks again, TAers!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 33
10. Re: Something restful to do (or place to be) before late flight?

Dan Panorama might have rooms for a day use. Email them. Mbgg's idea of the Gordon pool is great. There are chairs, umbrellas and nice pools. Good showers too. The lockers are small though. There is a cafe next to it in the open and the sea breeze.