We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Al baggage policies, carry on

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 1
El Al baggage policies, carry on

Question:

We are flying out of Tel Aviv to Madrid using EL Al. I didnt realize how stringent the baggage policies are until saw the link below. Unfortunately, this is our last leg of a 18 night journey from London, to athens, to mykonos, to jerusalem, to tel aviv and we may be loaded with souvenirs or bought items.

Is El Al this stringent with carry on luggage (8kg or 17lbs max). We were hoping to check in one bag, and have a regular size carry on and maybe a back pack. Seems like second checked bag is $70 USD. Seems rather high.

Anybody have experience recently, to see how stringent these policies are? Do they actually weigh your carry on?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

elal.co.il/ELAL/…En_BaggagePolicy_150212.htm

elal.co.il/ELAL/…CarryOnLuggage.htm

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
1. Re: El Al baggage policies, carry on

El Al is getting more and more stringent about their carry on luggage. They are making people put luggage in the frame for size and making people check when it is oversize, too much or too heavy. ( and they sometimes weigh--it isn't 100% but it is more and more and you live dangerously if you assume you will get oversize and/or heavy luggage in the cabin)

Recently I flew from Prague back to Tel Aviv. They DID weigh my carryon. It was 1/2 kilo overweight. The only reason he let me by was because he saw that my checked luggage was 5 kilo under and he realized I could easily have repacked right there!

Personally, I am glad. When some hog the space and take more than their share--others have no room at all.

Edited to add: when you talk about regular size carry on and back pack I assume you are talking per person. If the back pack is larger than a pocket book--you WILL be stopped. Technically in economy they can make you put your pocketbook into the carryon. ( they usually do not)

Edited: 11:10 pm, March 21, 2013
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 36
2. Re: El Al baggage policies, carry on

I understand your concern, but most airlines are getting much more stringent. And $70 for a second checked bag is well within the standards, there are airlines that start at $100 for a second checked bag and others that have a complex formula that is based on the cost of your ticket.

If you have that much stuff, you can consider mailing some of your souvenirs back home.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 112
3. Re: El Al baggage policies, carry on

The rules are common on all airlines and if you are flying back to the US on a separate ticket you may be liable for an additional piece of luggage on that airline as well. You are entitled to one carryon of 8 kg(very standard on any airline) plus a laptop in its own bag or a purse(which they generally do not weigh).

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
4. Re: El Al baggage policies, carry on

Chana--If you check the link provided by the OP, an economy passenger is NOT allowed an 8 kg carryon AND a laptop. At one time you were, now it very clearly says, "

"Economy Class

You are entitled to one piece of hand luggage

weighing up to 8 kg (17pounds).

If you have a laptop you wish to take into the cabin, it will have to be packed within your hand luggage."

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
reviews: 104
5. Re: El Al baggage policies, carry on

I flew El Al 5 days ago out of Tel Aviv with a group of teens. They weighed everyone's backpacks. I had a backpack and a purse and it was not a problem. I would suggest you check in the extra bag. If you consider the total cost of your trip, $70 is reasonable to get home all your souvenirs.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
6. Re: El Al baggage policies, carry on

I would add:

You can also ship your souvenirs by post, it might be cheaper.

or

If you know you're going to be overweight/extra bag needed, then you could do express check-in via the EL AL website (could be done when your flight is within 24 hours or less) and notify EL AL in this process that you are overweight/need extra bag. This would get you 15$ discount. More details here: elal.co.il/ELAL/…

Texas
7. Re: El Al baggage policies, carry on

Thanks all for the replies. Looks like Aegaen has similar policy so we will limit the amount of luggage we have and try to wash more while traveling.

8. Re: El Al baggage policies, carry on

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 24, 2014