We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach or not for hotel?

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
reviews: 6
Beach or not for hotel?

Looking to book a hotel in Tel Aviv for 2 nights in April. I am not a great beach lover and was wondering if beachfront hotels tend to be noisy? We prefer small, off-the-beaten track boutique hotels but important that they are within 20 - 30 minute walk of restaurants, sites, etc. Also looking for restaurant suggestions suitable for a vegetarian.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
11. Re: Beach or not for hotel?

Rather than using the comparatively difficult word "vegetarian", you are much more likely to be understood with a simple "no meat, no fish" or whatever. That goes for anywhere, not only in Israel!

Montreal, Canada
12. Re: Beach or not for hotel?

That is probably great advise. Thanks!

Tel Aviv, Israel
reviews: 23
13. Re: Beach or not for hotel?

Salut Skatsof,

I used to live a few blocks north of the Diaghilev.

While I've never been to the hotel itself (heard great things about it though), the neighbourhood is an outstanding choice and I'm sure you'll love it. Rothschild blvd is where everybody (particularly locals) go out for a walk or to meet friends for coffee, and in terms of restaurants, some the city's best choices are literally around the corner. One of my favourites (although contested by my friends...) is Allora, a cute Italian place, and also try Ahat Ha'am (right at the corner of Ahad Ha'am and Balfour) for lighter fare. Both should have a good selection of vegetarian options. Slightly more upmarket venues are Shulhan ("table") and cafe noir. Walk further south on Rothschild for more.

You should go to the beach even if you don't think you're a beach fan. I'm personally offended by a previous comment regarding the lack of public transit to the beach - take bus #5 from Rothschild northbound and it'll drop you off a couple of blocks away from the beach, ask passengers (or the driver if he can speak English) for directions. If you're able-bodied, you can walk (15 minutes) or bike (using tel-o-fun, a shared-bike system) to the beach, maybe passing through quaint Neve Tzedek on your way there. A nice walk would be out of your hotel south on Rothschild, through Neve Tzedek (take Shabazi street), west into the old station district, then across the road onto the boardwalk south to old Jaffa.

Servers speak good English and are used to serving foreigners. Unfortunately Arabic isn't spoken in Tel Aviv.

Enjoy your stay!

Montreal, Canada
14. Re: Beach or not for hotel?

Thanks so much. Is it necessary to make restaurant reservations in advance in Tel Aviv or are there usually tables available?

Tel Aviv, Israel
reviews: 23
15. Re: Beach or not for hotel?

Reservations are advisable for dinner at higher-end venues (including most places on Rothschild proper) on Thursday and Friday night. If you don't mind being seated at the bar for dinner, or if you eat earlier than most Israelis (that is earlier than 8:30-9ish), or if you don't mind walking around a bit before you find a table that suits your taste - then reservations are not necessary. Lunch is usually a much smaller problem.

16. Re: Beach or not for hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 16, 2014