We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tree planting in Israel

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island, NY
reviews: 8
tree planting in Israel

During a free day in Tel Aviv this January, my family and I plan to travel to either Neot Kedumim or to the KKL-JNF Tree Planting center at Nachshon Forest to plant trees. I am looking for information to help me learn more about each. I have been in email contact with Neot Kedumim and am aware of the costs. I have not heard back from KLL-JNF yet. My family and I are a group of 5 adults. Will we be able to travel round trip by taxi and about how much might it cost? Any information and suggestions about this activity and transportation would be greatly appreciated. - Eve

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 101
1. Re: tree planting in Israel

Nachshon is not too far from Neot Kedumim and is located on highway 3. There is Kibbutz Nachshon nearby, the area was near the border till 1967. I would imagine that you could find information searching for these two bits of information. In general planting trees is done in barren hills to bring green to a specific area. What other type of information are you looking for in this regard?

Chana

Israel

Tel Aviv, Israel
reviews: 16
2. Re: tree planting in Israel

It would probably be more economical and convenient to simply rent a large car, SUV or mini-van. With 5 adults, you will require two taxis. Taxi travel outside the cities can be expensive. Maybe KKL or JNF has some sort of travel arrangement for tree planters.

Long Island, NY
reviews: 8
3. Re: tree planting in Israel

Thank you for your replies. I wanted to get a sense of the differences between the two organizations as well as the differences between the experiences we would get at each. Also, is one easier to get to and from Tel Aviv than the other. I prefer not to rent a car during this trip. I will, though, ask these organizations if they provide transportation services. Are there any other suggestions on transportation since it sounds like a taxi cannot accommodate all five of us?

Tel Aviv, Israel
reviews: 42
4. Re: tree planting in Israel

It's not a problem arranging for a van and driver if you don't want to rent.

Your hotel can arrange this or you can try contacting one of these:

http://www.yulzari.co.il/?gclid=CJq_ldma5rMCFUFb3godAGsAjA#!__yulzarien

http://big-taxi.com/

wildcat.co.il/search/taxi-cab-big/index.html

Tel Aviv, Israel
5. Re: tree planting in Israel

There's also a nice app you can download to smartphone or tablet: www.gettaxi.co.il

You order the taxi directly from the app which also has good maps.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 101
6. Re: tree planting in Israel

If you choose to go to Neot Kedumim you can combine the visit with a tour of the site itself which is very interesting. There is no reason to take a taxi or other transportation (unless you feel like it) as there regular bus service from Tel Aviv to Neot Kedumim every half hour on Connex (Veolia) bus number 101 or 111. The bus stops at the park and of course picks-up from there. The Nachshon site is a bit more complicated to get on public transportation and offers nothing other than the tree planting (if you are planning on a day trip this will be a very short trip).

Chana

Israel

Tel Aviv, Israel
7. Re: tree planting in Israel

Chana, with all due respects, Eve clearly states that she wishes to travel by taxi. Additionally, she says that she is aware of the costs involved in tree planting. Why would you recommend a Connex bus to someone who wants to take a taxi? My experience with Connex has been that they're not always on time and a half hour can easily be three quarters of an hour to an hour.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
8. Re: tree planting in Israel

Mazada--with all due respect, go back and read Eve's posts. Where did she say she wants to ONLY go by taxi. She asks in # 3," Are there any other suggestions on transportation since it sounds like a taxi cannot accommodate all five of us?"

IN terms of the reliability of Connex. I think where Chana lives, they are her main bus company. She would then be using them freqently and be very familiar with their workings.

BTW--people giving assistance will frequently recommend something EVEN if the OP did not ask. The OP many times doesn't know what is offered so they didn't know what to ask for. There is no harm in giving choices. The OP can choose to take or not take them.

Edited: 7:13 pm, November 24, 2012
Tel Aviv, Israel
9. Re: tree planting in Israel

Thanks for the tip. And I understand where you're coming from. However, I think that any OP would obviously know that there is bus transportation available in Israel. I guess it's fairly self-evident, innit?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
10. Re: tree planting in Israel

Mazada, not everyone is familiar with the bus services in Israel. Whereas Egged is well-known, some places are served by other companies that many people won't have heard of, and they won't know where to start looking. They may look at the Egged website and see that the place they want isn't listed, so they may well assume there is no bus there. What's "fairly self-evident" to one person isn't to another.

Many places that tourists want to see do not have a bus service at all. One that springs to mind is the Avshalom (Stalactite) Cave near Beit Shemesh. There is no way to get there except by car or taxi. It's only about 5 km in a straight line from Beit Shemesh - which has a very frequent bus service - but it's impossible to walk cross-country even for good hikers because of all the quarries.

Edited: 2:35 am, November 25, 2012