We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Not Rent from Cal Auto Rental

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bethel, Connecticut
reviews: 2
Do Not Rent from Cal Auto Rental

We recently rented a car from Cal Auto Rental that has offices in all the major cities. Unfortunately, we did take the car with a little bit of damage which was noted. But when we brought the car back--and we did not further damage--they accused us of causing the damage and charged our card for an additional $286.00. Of course they then fixed the car. They said the car was new but it already had 4,000 km on it.

We are trying to fight these charges through American Express but I would just say, do not rent from these guys under any circumstances. They run a scam operation in their Afula office and generally, a unreliable agency. Only rent from reputable offices such as Avis or Hertz. It is worth the extra money.

14 replies to this topic
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
1. Re: Do Not Rent from Cal Auto Rental

I am sorry that you had problems.

I guess my questions would be--if the damage was noted than how could they accuse you of causing it. It has been recommended my many that you take photos of the vehicle. If I was taking a damaged car I would especially want to document it.

A car with 4,000KM IS considered new. Israreli cars are very very expensive and the rental companies are not going to get rid of a vehicle the minute it gets a small amount of milage on it. Do you realize that is roughly 2, 400 miles. Even by American standards, I would consider that new!

Tel Aviv
reviews: 8
2. Re: Do Not Rent from Cal Auto Rental

Didn't they gave you a copy of the document that says that there is a damage?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 31
3. Re: Do Not Rent from Cal Auto Rental

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience - but I'm with the others, if you had documentation of previous damage, how could they charge you for it? You should be fine with Amex and they should reverse the charges.

Tel Aviv
reviews: 8
4. Re: Do Not Rent from Cal Auto Rental

By the way, i had same story with Eldan so i don't think that it's inimitable for Cal Auto. Never trust the workers in such companies and make sure you have the list with the damages of the car with their signature.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
reviews: 10
5. Re: Do Not Rent from Cal Auto Rental

Always take multiple photos of any damage (even minute scratches) to the car when you pick it up and insist that they list any scratch or damage on the rental document.

6. Re: Do Not Rent from Cal Auto Rental

Hello, I've booked a car (hyundai sonata) for my friends, which came to visit Israel, before one month. Airplane arrived at 1 in the night, so taxi took them to the office where was a young man, very tired and dormant. First surprise that they found out: there is no car like Hyundai Sonana at this station! My friends wouldn't like make a row, agreed to take it. Second was: Mazda 6, this car company prepared for them, was covered in scratches and beatings. They had an impression, that this car was in an accidents in a few times. However, there was a one more thing! A driving seat was in the air!!! Only a seat belt fix it, can you imagine it?! Guys, after 20 hours of flight and waiting for a car, they got not a car, an Armageddon car...

Worker omitted that fact and said: you can take another car, but low level on the same money! After that, my friend exploded, he wanted to talk to manager, just think about that, at 1 in the night, who's gonna answer? No one... He asked, If worker can call to manager, after few minutes, he found for them another car! Like a new one. When he want to clean up why they do this for them, worker just left them without answer...

Never book cars at Cal Auto!!!

7. Re: Do Not Rent from Cal Auto Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 pm, July 22, 2013

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
8. Re: Do Not Rent from Cal Auto Rental

Ilan--sure sounds like an Israeli name, not a Spanish name--like someone from PR would have. Why do I doubt the legitimacy of this last post!

Ramla, Israel
reviews: 12
9. Re: Do Not Rent from Cal Auto Rental

Which CalAuto rental office in Israel is open at 1AM?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 31
10. Re: Do Not Rent from Cal Auto Rental

The only car rental office of any company that is open at 1 am is the one at the airport.

Reply to: Do Not Rent from Cal Auto Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted