We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good car rental in Tel Aviv airport

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cam
Good car rental in Tel Aviv airport

Recently had terrible experience renting a small car from Europcar via Easyjet in Ben Gurion International, they have no desk in arrivals and the office is actually outside the airport, this was not clear at all from the booking form that only said to meet their representative on floor 1 near the other car rentals.

They didn't wait where they said they would and we waited a long time until we had to make an expensive call to their emergency number just to be told the agent is waiting on floor 3 - he wasn't.

Finally after 30 minutes a driver arrived who drove like a maniac to their offices 3 miles away where they didn't have the car's disk license etc' , they got another car.

When returning the car they had no one waiting and their office was locked, another call and we were told the driver is also manning the desk and will be in the office shortly.

15 min later he arrived and took the keys from us and got us to the wrong terminal, turned around back eventually and we made it just in time.

On the side of amateurism I would say, anyone knows of a good rental company that has a proper desk actually on site?

Edited: 5:19 pm, January 22, 2012
18 replies to this topic
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 68
1. Re: Good car rental in Tel Aviv airport

None of the rental agencies are any closer. All agencies located inside the airport are about a 10 minute drive to the opposite side of the airport which is where Europcar is also located. There are shuttles for some of the agencies such as Avis and Hertz. Others like Europcar give individual service and pick up each client on private basis. It's ashamed that there was a miscommunication between you and the company. Things like this happen and it is unfortunate. Perhaps next time you will have better luck.

Chana

Israel

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
2. Re: Good car rental in Tel Aviv airport

While they are not in the terminal I have been renting for years and years--multiple times each year from Eldan and have found them to be fine.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 2
3. Re: Good car rental in Tel Aviv airport

watch out with Eldan..I had a poor experience with them on my visit. We ended up having to swop cars as they gave us an appalling vehicle.

good luck

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
4. Re: Good car rental in Tel Aviv airport

Every company will occasionally have a problem vehicle. In the past 10 years I've probably had at least 30-35 vehicles. I twice swapped out. One was a Ford Focus--perfect condition, ran beautifully but I just couldn't get comfortable and one was a vehicle with a strange smell. I would still recommend them highly.

San Francisco...
reviews: 13
5. Re: Good car rental in Tel Aviv airport

Hertz, Avis and Budget are located in the main terminal and are usually decent. I recently made the mistake of renting at Europcar. I picked up the car in Tel Aviv beach, and returned at the airport. The return experience was terrible: no road signs to find the office, which is not at the airport, but in Airport City 10min away. There is not even a place to park the car, and one has to park it illegally and rush to the office where you are greeted by rude employees. Of course no one helps with luggage nor are there any luggage carts available. Bottom line - don't event think about Europcar in Tel Aviv.

Tel Aviv, Israel
6. Re: Good car rental in Tel Aviv airport

There is a company named Pery. They'll have someone in

Person wait for you at your arrival and show you the car. Great rates.

New York City, New...
reviews: 7
7. Re: Good car rental in Tel Aviv airport

In general, are rates the same between Eldan and Hertz? Is one better to rent from than the other?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
8. Re: Good car rental in Tel Aviv airport

I find that I get excellent service from Eldan. I do not rent at the airport. A dummy rental reservation just showed that Eldan is, as they always were, significantly less expensive than Hertz. ( use Hertz Israel site, not the international site)

New York City, New...
9. Re: Good car rental in Tel Aviv airport

Thank you rdglady. (Also, I didn't realize that there was a separate Hertz Israel site.)

May I ask a further question? I find the explanation of "Comprehensive insurance" on the Eldan site, well, incomprehensible. Does Comprehensive insurance include the CDW and Theft Protection?

New York City, New...
10. Re: Good car rental in Tel Aviv airport

I just did a dummy reservation, for the exact same car, dates, insurance, locations, etc. on Hertz International, Hertz Israel, and Eldan. Hertz International was the cheapest, by $80. Hertz Israel and Eldan were the exact same.

Reply to: Good car rental in Tel Aviv airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted