We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BG Transportation and Israeli Security

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Ramon...
reviews: 2
BG Transportation and Israeli Security

I will be staying at a downtown Tel Aviv hotel (Sun City Hotel) on my last day in Israel.

My flight leaves at 0600, so I should be at BG at 0300. Will I be able to hail or

call a taxi at that time of the morning? The hotel says they don’t arrange for transportation.

Secondly, what can I expect from the legendary Israeli security at customs entering and exiting the country? Thank you for your input.

Johannesburg, South...
reviews: 78
1. Re: BG Transportation and Israeli Security

Flights leave BG all through the nite - so tell your Hotel night clerk to call a taxi if there is not one waiting outside.

As far as security at customs - just look them in the eye, and answer politely and if you smile, it all seems to go much quicker. They have many questions they must put to you, so there is no point getting irritated. They're just people doing a job, very thoroughly, not without reason.

Arizona
reviews: 18
2. Re: BG Transportation and Israeli Security

I think you can call a taxi service and order a ride, but others here can advise specifically.

BG security is thorough, but in my experience much more courteous than TSA. Entering has never involved anything at all for me -- no more than any other foreign country, although sometimes people are pulled aside and questioned. That is likely if you are of Arab or Islamic background. They do profile, and that's that.

Entry interview is also more likely to happen if you have visited Arab nations that don't recognize Israel in the past few years. I gather journalists also can get a grilling when they enter, if there is any question of their being openly hostile to Israel. Just be honest and polite when answering the many nosy questions.

On leaving, they may check your passport innumerable times (8 one time for me). You will have a departure interview that will ask a lot of odd questions, and again, just be direct and honest, because what they are looking for is uneasiness, inconsistency, signs of deceptive responses in body language, etc.

If you get culled out for a more thorough interview, may as well relax, because you aren't going anywhere until they are satisfied, even if it means you miss your flight. It may not be personal -- perhaps they have a tip that they need to watch out for a certain type of traveler, who knows?

They will Xray your bags, usually twice, and often conduct a hand search -- who knows what exactly they're looking for each time? For me, Dead Sea bath salts, glossy magazines, foil-wrapped chocolate bars have all been pulled out, examined, and then repacked, usually with a polite, even humorous attitude.

If it goes quickly, you'll have two hours to kill before your flight, but you can't ever count on it.

Just remember that they are being this thorough because they have to be, and it is keeping you safe, too.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 37
3. Re: BG Transportation and Israeli Security

You got good answers on security. I'll add about cabs. Most times there is no problem hailing a cab at all hours. But if you want to be sure order one the evening before. It can be any cab you happen to take, or ask the hotel desk to give you the phone numbers of 1-2 companies.

4. Re: BG Transportation and Israeli Security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, September 30, 2009