We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car in Tel Aviv

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
reviews: 2
Rental car in Tel Aviv

We are coming to Israel on the 6th of June. For right now, I have rented a small apartment at Ben Yehuda, as cost is a major consideration and we are 4 people. Based upon reviews from this site, I thought it would be a good place to stay. We were planning to use this as our home base and travel to the sites we are interested in seeing. My son has been in Israel since December and he is suggesting we rent a car. Right now I am trying to figure out if that is the best way to go. I have gotten a few bids on tour guides and the prices are way too high. Any advice from those of you that seem so knowledgeable would be greatly appreciated.

Caracas
11. Re: Rental car in Tel Aviv

Regarding Eldan vs. Avis: the Eldan quote was a lot less than Avis' when I rented the car (last April). If it had been the other way around I would had stayed with Avis, which I consider a good and reliable company. Personally I have praised Eldan because their service was excellent and by the time of my rental their price was the best (that was my first rental with them). In your case I would stay with Avis. Be advised that the CDW in Israel has a deductible of around $ 400. I didn't take any chances and paid an extra 10 $/day to cover for that (for a 9 day rental). Didn't needed, though.

Illinois
12. Re: Rental car in Tel Aviv

Thanks so much for the information about cars. Anyone want to comment on an itinerary?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
13. Re: Rental car in Tel Aviv

Re: Itinerary--this group seems to comment on everything. You post, we comment!! -:)

concerning your auto rental. Please double check your price. I have always found Eldan cheaper. After reading your post I checked both Eldan and Avis.Again, Eldan was over $100 cheaper. I just want to make sure you did everything correctly and don't get any surprises.

Illinois
14. Re: Rental car in Tel Aviv

Can someone tell me how far the Eldan car rental place in Tel Aviv is from the Ben Yehuda Apts?

Also what is the best way to get from the airport to the Ben Yehuda Apts. The complex wants 150NIS to pick us up. Is that a lot?

many thanks for your help.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 37
15. Re: Rental car in Tel Aviv

The taxi will cost about 130 shekels, so the 150 shekel for a special service looks fine.

Illinois
16. Re: Rental car in Tel Aviv

My dear fellow bloggers,

I write to you from our apartment here on Ben Yehuda in Tel Aviv. We flew over on Israir through New York. The flight was as expected. I would definitely fly Israir again. We could not find the shared taxi to our apartment so we took a regular taxi. It cost 115NIS. We were pretty surprised to find our street blocked because of a gay pride parade. Our taxi driver apologized but gave up and told us how to walk to our hotel. What a sight we must have been to see us schlepping our suitcases, camera, and computer through downtown Tel Aviv. What a first introduction to the great state of Israel. As you may remember we were meeting our son here, who has been living in Israel volunteering since December. We did connect and if I may add how wonderful to see him after all of these months.

We began by walking the streets of Tel Aviv taking in the sights. A stroll down the Mediterranean, was followed by a lovely dinner at an outdoor café a stop at the convenience store to pick up a few things and then of to bed. We were a bit surprised to find no sheets or pillows on the sofa bed and as I know most of you know, not much happens on Shabbat, so my poor son slept sans sheets but with a couple of beach towels we brought along. Jet lag has been a bit more tolerable than I had imagined. Today we took a walking tour called, Buahaus, the white city which began on Rothschild street. It is amazing to learn of the building of this great city. It is now 4pm Israel times so we are off to the beach. Tomorrow we are off to Jerusalem.

I am looking for hidden gems, great places to eat—especially those with a local fare. Bargains would help as everything seems much more expensive here than in the states.

Until later. Julie

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 135
17. Re: Rental car in Tel Aviv

Julie, so good to hear from you! And we love trip reports here!

May I make a suggestion? I would copy this into a new thread called something like "Julie's Trip Report," and then blog onto that. That makes it more likely that people will see and read the trip reports, which folks find both fun and very valuable.

Enjoy your visit, and keep writing!

Douglas Duckett

18. Re: Rental car in Tel Aviv

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, September 30, 2009