We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full service barber in TLV?

Which Tel Aviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv, Israel
reviews: 53
Full service barber in TLV?

I like a nice haircut. Well, who doesn't? But in all my past visits to TLV, I have never managed to locate a decent full service barber, one that will keep what little hair I have in order and, since I hate doing it myself, shave off my whiskers.

Last trip, I had a haircut at a high-end unisex place along the expensive end of Ben Yehuda, which turned out to be a most un-edifying experience.

Any suggestions?

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 41
1. Re: Full service barber in TLV?

I'll ask and let you know. There is one on Ibn Gvirol south of Kikar Rabin that I pass by almost daily and he works with men only. Not a fancy place but clean.

Tel Aviv, Israel
2. Re: Full service barber in TLV?

I think I identified a gap in the market. There is no such thing in Tel Aviv or Yafo. I have been forced to shave myself. I am sure Tel Avivians could easily be turned on to the sheer restorative joys of a hot towel shave.

The commercial possibilities are literally staggering.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 14
3. Re: Full service barber in TLV?

There you go Graham........ a combination Scrambled Eggs & Hair Salon !

4. Re: Full service barber in TLV?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:31 pm, January 27, 2008
Tel Aviv, Israel
5. Re: Full service barber in TLV?

...........and happy to be one! Long may the weirdos flourish!

reviews: 29
6. Re: Full service barber in TLV?

BTW Graham, if you are in Gilo on Tuesday you'll be most probably snowed in, according to weather forecasts.

7. Re: Full service barber in TLV?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:31 pm, January 27, 2008
Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
reviews: 23
8. Re: Full service barber in TLV?

I imagine that the reason you can't find a full service barber, even in Tel Aviv, is that Jewish law forbids the cutting of the "corners" of mens beards.

Many ultra-orthodox jews understand the law to not cut their sideburns at all, which is why you will see them with long sidelocks, sometimes tucked behind their ears, but often not.

This link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidelocks explains it very nicely.

Even though Tel Aviv is mainly a secular city, and you will find many Israelis who use a razor to shave, I think it maybe an inbred cultural thing.

9. Re: Full service barber in TLV?

Removed on: 8:38 pm, January 27, 2008
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
reviews: 41
10. Re: Full service barber in TLV?

Dear Debi - Jewish tradition has nothing to do with barber services. I suppose it is mainly that there is no demand for such a service. Most people shave on their own, not always doing such a good job though. Maybe a service like that is available in the old city of Jerusalem, I did not see it Jaffa.